Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra Lowering (springs / coilovers)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    I think the issue is the cheapy springs, If you went with eibach, I don't think you would have that problem. I had them on my civic and integra, and both worked great with an awesome ride quality. I have been in cars with cheap springs and coil overs and the ride was filling jarring. When I get my micra in my hands I will give a review of the eibachs.
    Cool, looking forward to that. The cheapies I used are spec'd the same as Eibach, but we all know how that goes As it is, the ride is pretty good... just the shocks are now too long and damping/preload is obviously non adjustable.
    I'm not opposed to putting in a full suspension if I have to (probably go with Tein Street Advance)...depends on what summer wheel/tire set-up I go with.

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    When you mean spec'ed you mean ride height correct? a 1 - 1.25 inch lower has little effect on shock travel really. As I said, I have lowered many cars including 2 of my own, I would have my mazda 5 lowered but I would scrape everywhere, And have never had an issue with any car using eibach pro kit. Once you go beyond 1.5, then yes your shocks will need to be upgraded. I would say the ebay springs are not the same spring rate at all compared to the eibach. there is a lot more to lowering springs than just ride height. It sounds like they kept stock spring rate but just lowered, there for your hard bottoming etc. I have been driving a Micra SV all week here in Halifax and the thing has ALOT of suspension travel. 1 inch is not going to make it bottom out hard. But wrong spring rates will for sure!
    Last edited by kojack; 09-13-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    When you mean spec'ed you mean ride height correct? a 1 - 1.25 inch lower has little effect on shock travel really. As I said, I have lowered many cars including 2 of my own, I would have my mazda 5 lowered but I would scrape everywhere, And have never had an issue with any car using eibach pro kit. Once you go beyond 1.5, then yes your shocks will need to be upgraded. I would say the ebay springs are not the same spring rate at all compared to the eibach. there is a lot more to lowering springs than just ride height. It sounds like they kept stock spring rate but just lowered, there for your hard bottoming etc. I have been driving a Micra SV all week here in Halifax and the thing has ALOT of suspension travel. 1 inch is not going to make it bottom out hard. But wrong spring rates will for sure!
    Yep. Eibach is a better quality spring to be sure and probably their specs are more believable. I would have used them, but they were not available on a whim.
    I'm not sure how much difference it would have made though. Seems to me, all these springs might be spec'd for overseas cars to date... which are lighter and don't have the crazy tall suspension that our new Micras have. So, I might still run into some small issues with a full suspension kit, (unless I wait for mfg's to catch up with new Micra specs) but at least would have some room for adjustment.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Lowering 2.0

Well, I ordered a Tein coil over kit. I wanted a Street Advance (GSK20-21AS2) as it has adjustable damping, but the wait was going to be at least 6 weeks (special order from Japan) so I settled for a Street Basis (GSK20-11AS2) which has fixed damping, a very reasonable price and in stock.

The springs alone are OK, it's just that I want the car a little lower, and this kit will allow me to set the height to perfectly match my current wheels. I can then have a more accurate look at what size summer rims I want to go with.

More info and pics to come, hopefully soon
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Nice.

What are you going to do with your non-adjustable fleabay springs? Might be able to find a taker here in the forum.

(Wait... do we even have a for sale section? Yup! We do: For Sale / Wanted / Web Finds )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nice.

What are you going to do with your non-adjustable fleabay springs? Might be able to find a taker here in the forum.

(Wait... do we even have a for sale section? Yup! We do: For Sale / Wanted / Web Finds )
    LOL, yeah I might have some spare stuff to sell soon. At this rate I will soon have to come up with a new upgraded nickname too, ''Ten Grand Tin Can'' becoming somewhat misleading.

My Micra: The road to cheap inventions is paved with gold intentions. Yikes!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks

Lowering 2.0 gets underway

Hello fellow Micranauts... green goodness arrived today, complete with detailed instructions...in Japanese

The rear springs at their lowest setting stand ~20mm shorter than stock. The ebay cheapies I have installed now, are the same length as stock. Both are thinner gauge coils than the stock springs. Quality looks really good on everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ten Grand Tin Can

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aftica For This Useful Post:

MasterFocus (09-25-2014)

Thanks

Tein Suspension Update.

Hey guys, I have an appointment with a shop that specializes in lowering, but an uncharacteristic fit of exuberance came over me today and I decided to install rear shocks/springs. Fronts would be real easy to do too, as lower springs are already in (no need to find a spring compressor or giant cable ties lol) but I'm not sure how long my non lazy state will last
    Anyway, I set the ride height, for now, as per manual at the ''base'' height which is ~ -35mm from stock (~335mm wheel centre to wheel arch) it ended up measuring about 330mm which is just a few mm less than I had it.
    From here I can adjust lower to a maximum of -65 (they recommend -45, I will probably go -55)
    Will do this when the fronts are in. No need for a pic of the car as it is hard to notice it is any lower out back at this setting.

Edit: The compression/rebound damping is definitely stronger on the Tein shocks.

Some pics that may interest fellow tech heads:

1) The bumper on the stock unit is built into the dust cover in two spots circled.
    2) Difference in length between units. Separate bumper on the Tein unit.
    3) Rear springs. Stock/ Ebay / Tein. The stock spring has thicker coils than the other two.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Hey guys, quick update on the coilover kit: It won't work, lol!

Realized today, that there is no provision for sway bar mounting! Guys at the shop pointed it out. So unless you want to delete front sway bar, none of the after market kits presently available will work (judging by online pics).
    It's absence is right there plain to see in the above pics, but I never noticed it and neither did the shop guys until it came time to hook up sway bar link!

Will dig into it and see if there is a solution.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Oh crap.. That sucks.. I was almost considering this for the opposite reason.. raising.. Thinking of a baby rally car or something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...