Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Micra Lowering (springs / coilovers)

Thanks
    PS: still waiting to hear back from Nissan Canada about what company they used for the springs on the red show car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The ''pro coil overs'' in the previous post look great, but I'll be looking for springs only to keep it cheap. Looking forward to what you find out Darin, thanks!
    John.
    PS: dealer was absolutely no help, did not even want to talk about it.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Nothing specific to report from Nissan Canada:

They said they just ordered a "generic brand from an online auction site". So... they got something from eBay, I suppose.

So, someone gets to be a pioneer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nothing specific to report from Nissan Canada:

They said they just ordered a "generic brand from an online auction site". So... they got something from eBay, I suppose.

So, someone gets to be a pioneer.
    AH, thanks for that Darin. There are tons of eBay springs and all are under $100/set + shipping. Thing that worries me is all of them, even the more expensive Eibach's, spec a drop of 1.25'' (or 30-35mm) front and .5'' (or 10mm) rear. I know those numbers are approximate, but I would like the front and rear to drop the same amount to keep body level as it is now.

I can't find a direct side shot of that red Auto Show car to see if it actually has some rake or not. Hopefully someone else guinea pigs this one before I get bored and try it

EDIT: Ok, WTH... i'll be the GP. Ordered a set of cheapie fleabay springs. The brand is DNA motors. 'bout $160 CDN with shipping. That price will go up though, because the guy uses UPS for shipping

Well, the ups man surprised me just now, with my springs and $22 brokerage fee. I decided to toss the rears in for a look see as it's only a 15 min job. I don't think I can be arsed to do the fronts. Anyway, they stated a .5'' drop for the rears, but it ended up being a solid 1'', maybe 1 1/4''?. Looks just about good to me. The fronts state 1 1/4'' drop so we will see how that turns out...
    I drove it around the block and the ride feels the same...I was a little worried as they seemed to be not as stiff as the stock springs when just pushing on them on the garage floor.

I got them from this ebay store: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw...2013%20NISSAN%

All the Micra springs on this page state the same specs

A set of 18'' like on the Auto Show car, would make up the difference and fill the gap between the tire and wheel arch nicely. Even the 16'' SR wheels would go a long way towards that too.

EDIT: Front springs now in, I got lazy and had the dealer install and re align. Ride height is perfect... where it should have been set at the factory. Figure they might have spec'd the ride height high to allow for chains? Don't think many people use chains these days though, couple guys in northern Quebec or the odd nutbar living in a Kaczynski on the side of a mountain out west maybe. Anyway, the ride is just a hair choppier with a slightly more direct road feel, hard to describe, but definitely not coffee spilling ''Honda guy with cut springs'' silliness. I was a little worried that the ride would be actually be softer (and that front might go too low) as the new springs are thinner gauge and felt mushy, also they are probably for the lighter 1.2l version. Will get a couple pics up soon as possible.

pic#1 lower springs in rear only.
    pic#2 lower springs front and rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by aftica; 07-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aftica For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Okay, I have an idea ( this is an idea mind you not something that will work out ) but my father is a Coiler (spring maker ) but if someone can find me the prints, and the measurements on the original springs ( ID OD wire thickness, load etc etc ) I could possibly get a hold of ( again an IDEA and POSSIBLY ) some one off's. However if the wire is too thick it would have to be outsourced, so I may not end up going through with it if I have to "pay to play" lol.
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 06-23-2014 at 05:35 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey guys, I have now quite a few KM's on the lowered Micra. I like it for the most part, but a full suspension would be much better IMO.This may not be as obvious as it sounds...it took me a while to find a few spots along my normal routes that make the front end hit really hard. The stock suspension soaked up these particular bumps easily, now I have to dodge them or the Micra feels the pain My car is never loaded up with people or heavy stuff which would really make this a concern.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Aftica, thanks for the update. I had actually missed your post last month with the before/after photos & installation details.

So when you say "hit really hard", are you talking bump stops?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

So when you say "hit really hard", are you talking bump stops?
    Yep, I would say that it is hitting something, on certain hard quick bumps. I have found 2 places so far.

Most guys that lower their cars will put up with the compromise of having to drive careful and dodge the odd bump and stuff. I felt it is important to note in this case though, as the Micra is really tall on the suspension and these springs lower it just enough to look ''normal''. So anyone considering lowering should think about how they will be using the car...if you want to just plough through all the bumps or are loading the car heavy I would suggest a proper full suspension or find some springs that will lower but have a higher spring rate than these cheapies.
    John.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aftica For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    Yep, I would say that it is hitting something, on certain hard quick bumps. I have found 2 places so far.

Most guys that lower their cars will put up with the compromise of having to drive careful and dodge the odd bump and stuff. I felt it is important to note in this case though, as the Micra is really tall on the suspension and these springs lower it just enough to look ''normal''. So anyone considering lowering should think about how they will be using the car...if you want to just plough through all the bumps or are loading the car heavy I would suggest a proper full suspension or find some springs that will lower but have a higher spring rate than these cheapies.
    John.
    I think the issue is the cheapy springs, If you went with eibach, I don't think you would have that problem. I had them on my civic and integra, and both worked great with an awesome ride quality. I have been in cars with cheap springs and coil overs and the ride was filling jarring. When I get my micra in my hands I will give a review of the eibachs.

Thanks
    Might want to check your oil pan; it's the lowest point in the front of the car, and the sump sits right inside the indentation that comes down the lowest. A small dent may obstruct the oil flow into that sump.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...