Thread: What is real empty on the fuel gauge?

Thanks

What is real empty on the fuel gauge?

Does anyone know what the real empty is on this car. The gauge flashes at 55km until empty. Then when you get to 50km, it stops indicating how many km are left in the tank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra SR manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Of the two k13's that I have had both fuel gauges work different in that the one in my S would flash until you hit forty remaining km then the-------''display then finally the vertical line flashing on the right. My SV goes from two bars to flashing at 50 remaining to ----- display in no time. The calibration on these sending units must be suspect. Either way thirty five bucks and it's almost six hundred km until you see stuff flashing again that's what I like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    I've done 40 km' s past the --- and put in 39 liters, or 2 less than the 41 liters that would be empty, according to the manual. YMMV;-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woofer2609 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    I got an extra 70km after the gauge displayed ------. Then I sputtered to a stop. FYI

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra SR manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stever For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    And now you know!

That's funny. Were you far from a gas station, or did you have a jerry can on board?

I've run a car out of gas once trying to figure out its fuel gauge. I managed to coast into a gas station.

I later ran that SAME car out of gas UNintentionally, because the gauge apparently wasn't consistent over time/different temperatures, and I made the mistake of assuming it would be!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I carry a jerry can when I do this test.