Thread: Engine temperature question

Thanks

Engine temperature question

My dear Micramen friends,

Now that I'm gonna spend the winter North of the 50th parallel with my Micra (Sept-Îles), heater performance is quite a concern

I have an OBD II reader plugged in, so I can have real time engine temperature readings. I always use my block heater two hours before starting. When the temperature outside is around -10o C, the engine temperature warmed up with the block heater reads around 20o C at cold start. I drive for a distance of about 10 km, half of it at 80 km/h and the other half city driving.

Engine temperature rises to about 68-70o C, and when I stop at red lights, on idle, engine temperature drops down to 61, 62oC. Engine temperature never reaches normal operating range (82-86o C) during that journey, even if I let the engine warm up for a couple of minutes before leaving.

What do you think about it? Should I put, a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator? Should I change the thermostat? Thanks a million!

Thanks
    I think you should just leave it alone until at least winter gets here before deciding what to do. The heater on my 2015 Micra works very well and is fast to put out heat on the coldest morning and my trip is only 5 km (3 miles). I usually get lots of heat within the first 1 km and lots of heat at the start when I use the block heater. Looking at your temperature readings I would say the thermostat is doing what its supposed to. Your drive is 10 km (6 miles) which may explain why engine temperatures at the normal range never gets there. You are wise to let the car sit and warm up before leaving. Other than that monitor it and if you suspect an issue then it's off to the mechanic or dealership.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Papapoil (11-30-2016)

Thanks
    Slightly off topic. What brand of OBD2 reader are you using? I want to get one but I'm afraid about compatibility issues. Thanks!

My Micra heats up just fine here in cold cold Winnipeg.

Thanks
    This one: http://m.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/111789836861?_mwBanner=1

Pretty satisfied so far. Seems accurate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

Leif Norman (12-01-2016)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you're really blasting the heat, that is normal. Try not running the heat and see if you get up to temperature.

If the thermostat is stuck open, you'll actually get warmer when you're not moving (assuming no heat use), and it'll probably cool off when you're cruising because you have airflow over the radiator.

Thanks
    Remember, the Micra grille openings are much larger than required:

The diagonal lines represent where the radiator is in a base S manual.

You could safely get away with blocking most of the openings for almost all (non-mountain) driving, even in summer.

More discussion see thread: Experiment: 7 aero mods + tire PSI = 10% better fuel consumption at 90 km/h

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (05-15-2017)