Name:  back-up-cam.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  85.6 KB

Transport Canada has announced back-up cameras will be mandatory in new cars, taking effect May 2018.

I suspect that means we'll see the feature appearing about a year from now in 2018 model year vehicles appearing on dealership lots.

The department says it's a safety measure because children, disabled persons, the elderly and others are vulnerable to back-up mishaps.

It estimates that such accidents killed 27 people and injured more than 1,500 from 2004 to 2009.
But really it's because the U.S. announced the same requirement, and our auto industry is so closely linked, we typically always mirror American auto regulations. (With rare exceptions like DRL's, which are mandatory here but not there.)

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rear...nada-1.3829460

Do you think backup cams are really necessary in small hatchbacks like the Micra which generally have good rearward visibility already?

One thing I like about them is they're useful for "precision" maneuvers, where you want to get the car extremely close (like 2 cm) to something behind. Aside from that, I'm not a huge fan of them. Particularly when the lens gets sun glare on it, or raindrops obscure it.

Has anyone tried the Nissan "all around" camera system? That does seem interesting.