Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The wheel fitment thread

Thanks
    I do like the painted steelies with center caps (and sometimes with trim rings).

Though the wind doesn't like them. I had that look on my converted electric Metro, but it rarely went over ~45 km/h.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Those BMW wheels are 5x100, you will have to run adapter to put those on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterFocus View Post
    Those BMW wheels are 5x100, you will have to run adapter to put those on.
    Actually, if I wanted to try those tires (they are reasonably priced) rims would be the issue: I would have to get a set custom made, because adapters push the wheel out somewhat. I bet the BMW rims would be very dear too. Custom rims could be ordered for ~1K$ per, at the cheapest...skies the limit after that! LOL!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

New wheels/tires 1.0

Got new ''interim'' wheels/tires on (while I decide on, and then wait for aluminum rims to arrive)

It is hard for me to take representative pictures due to crappy camera and skills... the difference between the two sets is somewhat subtle, but much more apparent IRL than the pics show. The higher final drive ratio is really noticeable...definitely not as zippy in low gears...and will help bring the wonky speedo closer to reality.
    Will get some more pics when I have the centre caps ready. Also, I have cheapie wheel covers ordered that I may run. I purposely did not paint rims as I have not decided yet whether they will look better in black, but will probably have to paint if the wheel covers look better than the centre caps.

Notes for pics:

#1) 175/60/16 GoodYear Assurance Fuel Max. Centre caps will not work until I modify the area that covers the hubs (needs to be deeper) I have Nissan badges ordered to make this area look stock. The centre bore on these rims needed to be opened from 56.1-60.1 mm in order to fit Micra hubs. Anyone recognize the rims?

#2) New tire is about 1/2'' taller than stock. Steering feels a tad heavier (good) even though tires are narrower. I guess longer contact patch makes up for 10mm less width. I expected this might be the case at high speed due to gyroscopic effect but not at parking lot speeds? Forgot to check air pressure though, might be a tad lower than I usually run.

#3) Older pic with stock rims.

#4) Pic from today. Shadows really get in the way on these pics, but you get a general idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aftica For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (03-26-2021)

Thanks
    Reminds me a bit of the old VW steelies with the circle holes in 'em. I ran those on a mk1 Rabbit.

Are you making changes for aesthetics or fuel economy? Go for the smooth wheel covers if it's the MPG you want! Naked steelies are probably a couple percent worse than smooth at highway speeds. The taller profile will help gearing a bit too which will boost your highway fuel economy a tiny bit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Reminds me a bit of the old VW steelies with the circle holes in 'em. I ran those on a mk1 Rabbit.

Are you making changes for aesthetics or fuel economy? Go for the smooth wheel covers if it's the MPG you want! Naked steelies are probably a couple percent worse than smooth at highway speeds. The taller profile will help gearing a bit too which will boost your highway fuel economy a tiny bit.
    Not VW...

Changing for a better look. The lower RPM will help with fuel and the freakin' speedo though. I may have a final calibration done when I decide on aluminum summer rims (they will use even taller tires)

EDIT: Nissan logos arrived. Got them at this ebay shop very quick, no hassles See pic#6

Nothing ever just fits, when you wander off the beaten path:

Pics:
    #1) Hole saw used to remove centre section.
    #2) Fronts will need a stand off for the Nissan logo.
    #3) Rears, material thickness alone is enough, so Nissan logo can be applied directly.edit: made stand offs for rear also in order to match fronts
    #4) Pipe fitting from HD. Remove threads, cut flange to 1/4'', screw to centre cap.
    #5) Duck tape until my Nissan logos arrive.
    #6) Nissan logo applied to centre caps.

More pics to come...
    Last edited by aftica; 09-16-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Our the black rims MicraJordan bought the same as the ones at the Micra demo event?
    From the Driving Television review at 5:18.

Thanks

Wheels/Tires 1.1

Here are a couple pics comparing the bare steelies w/centre caps and Albrecht ''Wind'' wheel covers.

These are also available in 15'' size for stock steelies.

I think the covers would look pretty good if I painted wheels black, but I don't have any black cardboard or such at hand to mock this up... so it's up to the imagination at this point as i'm gonna stick with bare steelies for now.

Also note that there is a nice size centre section on these covers where a Nissan logo sticker or badge could be applied. Covers themselves are pretty cheap, hard plastic compared to the nice supple OEM units, not sure how well they would hold up in cold temps.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Let's see a set of Bonneville style moon discs.

If aero drag isn't a concern, I think I prefer the bare wheel with center caps -- more in keeping with the "10 Grand" aesthetic.

Thanks
    Having trouble sorting wheel/tire combo now that the car is lowered properly.

The suspension is now just where I want it, handles great, good lowered look, but still practical. The problem now, is that with the shorter struts, the springs are that much closer to the tire...clearance is very tight. (fronts only, rear has gobs of space)

I want to run an 18'' wheel but tires in the appropriate size are not produced LOL! In order to keep everything tucked on an 18'' wheel and ~24.5'' overall height I need 175/45 or 50, an even better (perfect) size would be 185/45 bahhhh...! nobody making these sizes unfortunately. Might be stuck with the 16'' steelies afterall, oh well ...

Ten Grand Tin Can