Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Actually, this is bad information. Not only is high octane fuel more expensive, it's engineered to detonate at higher compression levels. Our Micra engines are not high compression, so high octane fuel doesn't burn correctly. The result is that your mileage and performance will suffer.

Again, another myth, although the synthetic oil probably won't hurt anything, there's really no benefit in our low compression, non-turbocharged, naturally aspirated, simple 1.6L engines, but if you got money to burn, go at it. Just don't be disappointed that your Micra doesn't perform better or last longer than a Micra with proper oil changes with regular oil. To demonstrate what it could really cost, Mr. Lube charges $38 extra for a synthetic oil change. We need to change our oil every 8,000 km. If we did that every time on the mark, then at 200,000 km, we would have changed our oil 25 times at an extra expense of $950. Thinking about 400,000km? It's possible that a Micra on synthetic or regular oil could make that mark, but with synthetic, you're now out $1900.

Between synthetic oil changes and high octane fuel, the benefits of driving this economy car evaporate pretty quickly, which leads me to wonder, what's the point?

Actually it's good information. And so is yours, lol. The fact that you posted it as a counterpoint to my argument proves that you really don't understand the concept. You understand that under high compression the flashpoint in fuel drops dramatically. Meaning it will ignite under compression before it would under regular atmospheric. High octane is engineered to burn at higher compression levels. You are right. And how they do this is by raising the flashpoint of the fuel so that it does not ignite until it reaches that higher temperature. That higher temperature will always come from the spark of your ignition, not just the residual heat that was created from the last combustion. I could go on and on about this, but I won't. Great info though, right from the Wikipedia page on high octane fuel. It was a summary of what I was trying to explain.

Again you seem to think that synthetic oil and high octane fuel are the magic ingredients to making Ferrari's and Porches go fast and the argument seems to be, therefore there is no benefit for anyone else. It's just not correct.

Also if I did buy my car because it was the cheapest car on the market, that does not mean I am not going to do my best to take care of it and make it last. I have free maintenance and oil included with my car purchase because I did my homework and used the information available to get the best deal I could. If I want to spend the extra $50 on it to try to prevent premature wear I can, that's my option. I know I don't have too. I also know I certainly wouldn't hold it against Nissan or the car if I drove it for 86000km feeding it some of the cheapest marketable liquid one could find and it developed an engine light for some sort of intake, or exhaust sensor. I'd half expect it to. And if mine still does at 86000km's well I'd say that's pretty on par with when those types of wearable parts will need to be replaced. Most peoples problem is they think they shouldn't have any. I love the staying home bit, that is actually the best way to make your car last however when it comes to economics it's just not always practical to buy a 2300lb driveway decoration either.

Last edited by Vapor; 08-26-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    In the city of Toronto, the coldest minimum temperature of −33 °C (−27 °F) was recorded on January 10, 1859. That's nowhere near the pour point of regular 5W30, so there has yet to be a day where I've stayed at home.

Another take on premium fuel:

You should maybe save your money and consider a second stab at school?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Cleaners have nothing to do with octane. Try another google search. This article has been picked apart many times on the past 5,years. It also imply that even high compression vehicles don't need it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Cleaners have nothing to do with octane. Try another google search. This article has been picked apart many times on the past 5,years. It also imply that even high compression vehicles don't need it.
    Cleaners? I take it you never bothered to watch this Marketplace segment past the first minute. Too long for your attention span?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Just to clarify for some of you who may have A.D.D. or won't bother to watch the video, these are the results of this Marketplace study:

1. Using a Dynamometer, they confirmed that premium fuel did not generate any more power than regular octane in a car that requires only regular octane fuel. The engine compensated, and generated the same torque and horsepower.
    2. Doing fuel economy tests, they determined that premium fuel did not show any discernible difference from using regular octane in a car that requires regular octane fuel.
    3. After doing some research, they determined that the detergents used in premium fuel are the same as used in regular fuel, and that more detergents in your fuel wouldn't be a good thing.
    4. By performing an emissions test (starting at 13:20 in this video), they determined that regular octane gas in a car that requires regular octane fuel actually burns cleaner than does high octane fuel in that same car. High octane fuel burning in a car that requires regular octane fuel results in excess unburned hydrocarbons, because the premium fuel is not burning properly in a regular compression engine.
    5. The oil companies generate greater profits whenever we spend more on premium fuel, so they generate marketing propaganda to make us believe that premium fuel is better.
    6. Modern cars will compensate for engine knock before you will ever hear it, so if you're hearing engine knock, it means something is wrong with your engine that high octane fuel isn't going to fix.

It's not even a valid argument; it's like debating whether or not cigarettes cause lung cancer. Except in this case, we don't need a lab to scientifically test this ourselves. We can get emission tests done on our cars, and we can get access to Dynamometer. This is a debate between people spreading marketing propaganda created by the big oil companies versus people who have done real science that you can do yourself, and if you're going to continue to perpetuate the marketing bullcrap spewed by the big oil companies, people like me are going to call you on it.

Thanks
    Only engine I know of that operates differently with higher octane is my 22 hp ride mower. But then it doesn't have a computer to adjust for the higher octane.

Thanks
    Synthetic oil is a no brainer. It saves fuel and protrcts better in cold weather especially. Apart from cost it is a better product. High octane fuel is a waste of money in this car.
    Run whatever you like, but synthetic is not marketing hype, nor snake oil. If you do it yourself, you only need to spend $8-10 more per change to use synthetic. You'll save it in fuel, quite likely.

Thanks
    as always this subject rise a lot off opinion! I run my echo on synthetic oil and Super gas, just because my brain feel better! I run the micra on regular oil and gas...my brain not sure!

Thanks
    the best advice; follow your owners manual. ignore everything else.*

*the exception, is for higher mileage or older cars. they can require a bit extra TLC
    Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

Thanks
    I think the resident fuel economy expert here is MetroMPG. I know that switching to 5W20 motor oil will return a tiny bit more fuel economy (a trick Ford does to improve the fuel economy ratings of their vehicles), but does he think that a full synthetic would make fuel economy appreciably better?