Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abbotsford Nissan (BC) Micra Status.

Thanks
    Oops, I didn't see air conditioning my question answered on the question thread until after posting, my bad. Pretty much the answer I expected from Nissan.

I got the Aspire for free, so I overlooked the fact that its parking brake was bad; apparently if I used it would not disengage short of going back to a mechanic, so I never used it. With a brand new Micra, that shouldn't be an issue. I'll try it when I get around to doing a test drive, and see if that's enough to make my missus feel safe.

I know about heel-toe shifting, but the distanct between the gas and brake on the Aspire plus the shortness of my feet meant I couldn't do it on it.

The amount of rolling back was usually negligible if I jammed the gas on fast enough on the Aspire, but some Edmonton drivers insist on riding right up your arse at stop lights Plus they get annoyed and honk a lot if you're taking your time trying get the timing right to release the brake and shift to the gas just as the clutch engages

Last edited by Ustauk; 04-22-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Nintu, do you know why there's no version of the S with an automatic transmission but no air conditioning? Is it an economy of scale thing? I'd prefer to drive the standard, but my missus wants an automatic; being in Edmonton, we could both do without air conditioning, but Nissan isn't giving us that option

One of my missus's main concerns with the standard is rolling backwards on a hill between letting off the clutch and getting to the gas; my old Ford Aspire had so little horsepower that it wouldn't kick be able to overcome gravity until I applied the gas. With the good weight to horsepower ratio of the Micra, might this not be an issue for the Micra? I might be able to convince her to drive a standard if it isn't an issue
    Again, I think its really important to realise how much Nissan is investing in this. This Micra is cheaper than the micra is in most other countries. This isn't just a cheap car in canada, this is a cheap car world wide. They want to advertise the heck out of $9,998.00. In reality, most micras will be sold for more than 15,000. (Still great value.)

I feel like they bought down the price of the S so they can advertise it, but only have to offer a few at that price, while focusing on more popular "auto + Air" trim levels. Plus the less trims they have to make the micra in, the less complicated assembly is. Japanese way of building trims instead of options is a much easier infrastructure and saves a lot of money compared to trims+option packages like domestic makes offer. (I could never work sales at dodge. There's like a million combinations of things that your cars can have and the price is so blurry by the end you have no idea what you're paying for and what's worth it.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nintu For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-22-2014)

Thanks
    ^
    Thanks, Nintu, that makes sense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I got the Aspire for free... parking brake was bad
    Makes sense now. Not a problem in a new car, as you say.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    In other words, I don't believe the Micra is a $10k car, it's a $15k car. You want stick shift and air, you pay what it's really worth; otherwise, you don't get air. I saw this car in person, I know it's worth more than $10k, and is built like a car worth more than $15k.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    In other words, I don't believe the Micra is a $10k car, it's a $15k car. You want stick shift and air, you pay what it's really worth; otherwise, you don't get air. I saw this car in person, I know it's worth more than $10k, and is built like a car worth more than $15k.
    I agree completely actually. If you're judging value based on what other similar cars with similar features retail for, we're getting 15-20k of value and paying 10-15. Is it because Nissan wants to make a statement and buy down the price and start a price war? MaybE? I don't know or really care. all I know is we're getting a lot of value.

Manual SR package vs Honda Fit? $5,000 difference and I'd take the Micra every day of the week. =D

Thanks
    Another BCer! I'm over in White Rock, but definitely excited for the Micra.

Looking to get a 5spd Micra SR if I test drive it and like it. What I'd like to see are manual Micras available for test drive. It's really frustrating not being able to test drive manual cars at dealerships, as automatic and manual versions of the same car often tend to differ quite a bit in terms of driving characteristics.

Posted this in another thread, but going to get the exact same setup as this Micra at the Toronto reveal. OZ Superturismo 18x7 +42 with 205/40/18 rubber. Don't know what it's dropped on though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post

Looking to get a 5spd Micra SR if I test drive it and like it. What I'd like to see are manual Micras available for test drive. It's really frustrating not being able to test drive manual cars at dealerships, as automatic and manual versions of the same car often tend to differ quite a bit in terms of driving characteristics.
    Midway Nissan in Whitby, Ontario had no problem letting me take a 5 speed Versa Note out for a test spin.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post

Posted this in another thread, but going to get the exact same setup as this Micra at the Toronto reveal. OZ Superturismo 18x7 +42 with 205/40/18 rubber. Don't know what it's dropped on though.

If we have a manual, it's available to test drive. So as long as we get a manual transmission, I'd have no problem giving you a thorough test drive. Next to our dealership we have a big hill, back roads and some twisties. Should give you the full experience. Should I let you know when ours arrive?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nintu For This Useful Post:

Kaoss (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nintu View Post
    If we have a manual, it's available to test drive. So as long as we get a manual transmission, I'd have no problem giving you a thorough test drive. Next to our dealership we have a big hill, back roads and some twisties. Should give you the full experience. Should I let you know when ours arrive?
    Thanks nintu. If I'm ever around Abbotsford I'll definitely stop by, that is if I haven't already lost my patience and go to a local dealer to test drive one!