Thread: Subwoofer installation phase 1

Thanks

Subwoofer installation phase 1

Well I thought long and hard about how to mount the subwoofer. My choices were to screw into the inside drivers wheel well which gave good non interfering placement and a clean look. I just couldn't get past drilling into my wheel well. On the flip side I could have epoxied a piece of fiberglass and bolted to that but that would require removing the interior carpet around the wheel well. I didn't want to do that either.

So I settled on option "B". As in "B"uild a false floor and mount it inside. Our Micras boot is so deep that I am able to build a compartment under the floor to store the unit. And since I'm going through all this trouble I might as well make it show quality. My plan is to carpet the compartment, fit it out with red neon lights and top it off with a piece of plexiglass. When I open the hatch I want people to think wow.

As well the glass will be about level with the seats when they are folded down so the kids can still lay inside at the drive in. This will allow me to throw the original carpet insert on back in on top when I need to use the hatch space, so everything will be hidden during daily driving.

Sorry about the bad pic, but I am known for them. Here is the MDF floor panel I made tonight. I have an 8 gauge wire running from the battery down through the engine compartment under the car tied up along the brake line, over the rear axle, and into the hatch through a bottom rubber plug. I ran wires from both rear door speakers through the inside of the door, in through the rubber boot to the center pillar where I was able to fish it out and down into the door frame kick panels and back under and behind the seats. On the drivers side I also tapped into the power wire for the rear window switched power as well. This will power on the amp and lights when I turn the key. I still need to run the wire for and install the amp bass adjustment knob but that's simple.
    Name:  IMG_20160628_222630.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  85.5 KB

Last edited by Vapor; 06-29-2016 at 03:30 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

Johnuk (06-29-2016),Pete (07-05-2016),Wynter (06-29-2016)

Can't wait to see this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Pete (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Decided to go with my first instinct and went back to option A. A lot simpler, and a lot less work. As for the wow factor, I still have an idea for that but it's a secret. I ditched the MDF for laminate wood flooring. Made some brackets for the woofer that attach to the bottom of the wood and bend up to be beside the wheel well. That way I can mount to the brackets instead of the wheel well. Test fitted it tonight, looked pretty good. Should be finished by the end of this week if all goes well and look a little like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

Pete (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Here is an actual pic of the progress. I'm about to enter Phase 2 where I start building the quick disconnect wiring harness. The idea is to be able to dismantle everything in a matter of minutes so that I may access my jack and spare tire lug.

Name:  IMG_20160706_233505.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160706_233514.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  87.4 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

Johnuk (07-08-2016),Wynter (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    Is that a blox wheel nuts Box I see in your boot Vapor?

Thanks
    No that was my inspiration picture I found on the net. The latest post has the pics of my car.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

Johnuk (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Everything is installed now however I can't get any sound out of the thing. Light is on. All wired up. I hope I didn't get a dud.

Double check the source and audio inputs

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Have it wired for high level input and get nothing. So I unplugged and hooked up the rca cables to my phone still nothing.

Update: Adjusted the gain all the way up and it works. Just not quite as powerful as I'd hoped but it does fill out the sound nicely.

Last edited by Vapor; 07-09-2016 at 01:38 PM.