Thread: More Power for the Micra! (Electrical that is!)

Thanks

More Power for the Micra! (Electrical that is!)

This will work in any Micra I suppose.
    I required more electrical outlets in the Micra so I installed a marine grade 12v accessory plug near the ignition switch and a Dual 5v USB power plug in the blanked out hole by the traction button. I chose these spots for ease of installation and convenience. They both are in the same lower plastic cover under the steering wheel.

The 12 volt socket was easy and obvious.......drill a hole in the flat area!

The USB socket only required a slight mod to the switch holder piece that is screwed to the back side of the panel. You'll first need to remove it (2 screws) then you'll only need to grind out the largest 2 nubs on the right side of the unused switch hole. Then after you screw it back on, the USB Socket will snap securely into the front of the panel!

I tapped into the switched accessory power wire right near the fuse panel, I'm pretty sure it is Orange but you should confirm this. You don't want any expensive repair bills!

This is where I got the USB Socket.
    http://www.banggood.com/Dual-Car-Cig...p-1012770.html

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:

Howie (06-16-2016),Johnuk (06-16-2016),LilGeckos (06-16-2016),Wark (06-16-2016)

Thanks
    I was just looking at one of those USB ports on eBay yesterday. Never ordered one though. I like the idea of the extra 12V port. Nice mods.

Thanks
    Thanks LilGeckos,

There are a million USB adapters out there......the trick is finding one that fits with minimal fuss.

Oh! You may have noticed the sexy blue backlight that goes on when the socket is energized, it helps find the port in the dark.

Thanks
    Yeah. Seen the blue. It lights up only when key is on right? If I got one I would probably see if I could mod it to red to match the rest of the cars dash lights. You are right about fit though; getting one that is easy to install is always a good thing. I might have to take that plastic off now to see what is back there now. Especially after seeing your 12V outlet mod. Creative thinking there for sure.

Thanks

Exclamation You can never have too many power outlets!

Yes only lights when ignition is in accessory position or on. I don't think a light colour mod is possible, the unit is well sealed.