Thread: 2016 Micra: Canada's cheapest car put to the test (Toronto Star/Wheels Kenzie review)

Thanks

2016 Micra: Canada's cheapest car put to the test (Toronto Star/Wheels Kenzie review)

Name:  $$$$$$micra-star.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  71.6 KB

Is it a coincidence that the 2 chief auto reviewers for Canada's 2 biggest newspapers have both published 2016 Micra reviews in the last couple of weeks, focusing on the "cheapest" angle in their headlines? (See also: Nissan Micra, Canada's cheapest car: How many features can you live without?) Especially interesting considering there are no significant changes from the 2015 model to warrant fresh reviews.

Maybe Nissan pushed the cars out to media as part of a counter-offensive against the upstart Chevy Spark, which also included dropping the Micra's MSRP by $10 to re-take the "cheapest new car" crown from GM.

That makes it especially ironic, considering this front page Wheels review has a prominent Spark ad right below it!

Anyway, while Cheney drove a base S manual, Kenzie reviews a loaded SR automatic. He makes it an exercise in determining your "needs" (eg. the base S manual) from your "wants" (all those fancy pants options like air, auto, cruise, back-up camera which dramatically raise the price).

Pros:

- surprisingly good ride, handling
    - easy to drive in the city
    - cheapest in Canada

Cons:

- 4-sped automatic lags class leaders
    - big price hike to get common options (auto, air)
    - driver seat comfort * (see next post)
    - below class leading power

Overall:

... the Micra is a worthy little car which might be the best value going, as long as you can keep your "wants" in check

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Oh, also worth noting!

For the first time EVER after reading literally hundreds of car reviews in the past few years, a reviewer points out the obvious: car shoppers shouldn't rely on reviewers' subjective opinions!

The comment is specifically related to the Micra's seat comfort. Kenzie found the seat support decent, but his wife did not. But it could apply to many other factors.

All of this reinforces that no amount of critical review, positive or negative, can replace the need to at least test-sit a car for yourself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    how does it feel when all your friends are making fun of you for driving the cheapest car in Canada?

well for me.. not much.. but then i know a friend that keep complaining about it all day long.. ego much..

Thanks
    Just show them my car. Much cheaper than the Micra, which would be a big step up!