Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No acceleration??!!! RESOLVED

Thanks

No acceleration??!!! RESOLVED

Hey everyone idk if this is the right place for it but I have a problem. Car has 70,000km.

Last night when I finished work I went to my car it started fine but then when I went to accelerate not much happened. The engine goes thud thud thud kinda sound and no acceleration it will roll up to 40km/hr and then if I hold gas just goes at that speed. I try pumping the gas pedal and hit it to the floor and nothing at all once I stop and go again it goes thud thud thud and sounds high revs for a bit but doesn't go passed 2,000 rpm after. U can clearly hear that engine knock at that time.

No check engine light no dash lights car turns on fine and stuff drove it to a Nissan dealer after checking it at CT. Awaiting results but I don't know if anyone here has any input.

Im told car has gone into "fail safe mode" as something is wrong but no check engine light flashing nothing.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks
    errrr.. 70k km, did you just finished the warranty?

Please keep us updated.

Thanks
    Ya it would be passed warranty unless it's Powertrain related

Thanks
    Basic warranty is 3 years/60,000kms.
    Power train is 5 years/100,000kms.
    Might be covered under power train warranty; since you can barely drive it. You would think that the check engine light would be on or something.

Thanks
    As promised after we spoke Chris, my dad's first thought was 'dirty gas', as I thought it could be also.

He asked about a a fuel screen, and said if the gas station just had a delivery, as it fills, it stirs up sediment in the tank, and if you fuel right after they fill, could be particles. He's seen gas stations pumping out water after a rain, if the tank is leaking or cracked and water drains in with the gas. Since he lives up north, he fills a small gas jug and checks the gas first, then fills the car if it looks clean. Not practical here.

Other thoughts: fuel pump, ignition, oxygen sensor, exhaust manifold. Hooking it up to an OB2 reader which reads the on board computer but he said it can be hit and miss, and each 'miss' is costly. (not sure if I'm relaying this correctly).

In 'olden' days, check fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, check timing, but with today's cars with zillions of sensors, you have to have it hooked up to a computer to be diagnosed. He prefers the carburetor days.

Keep us posted, I hope Nissan can figure it out and it's not a lot of $$$. I'm sure some mechanical guys here will have some advice.

Thanks
    Wynter.. that sounds like $$$$$$$$$ ..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micra2080 View Post
    Wynter.. that sounds like $$$$$$$$$ ..
    It won't be all of those issues, just a few things my dad though of, but he knew a guy who had to flush the whole system due to dirty gas. Reason my dad never uses Pioneer, he did once and the Fargo knocked and pinged ever since. I won't even use Costco or 'no name' gas, as an old friend worked for Shell, and of course he's going to be 'Pro Shell' but they have additives and cleaners.
    I asked Chris if his gas gauge was low, as running on 'fumes' sucks the last bit out of our tank and if there's 'crud' it gets lodged in the fuel lines.

We'll have to wait and see what Nissan says, glad his car is there now.

Thanks
    Throttle position sensor?

That failed on my brother's Nissan X-Trail a couple of months ago - sounds like the same symptoms EXCEPT his check engine light came on.

Unfortunately, the sensor is part of the throttle body unit on the X-Trail so it was expensive to replace.

Keep us posted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I mentioned this to him, but not knowing the proper term, I called it the accelerator link, thinking it got 'stuck' at a certain point since he is able to get up to 40km/h, if this is something that can happen.

Thanks
    well i got no response today so dealer didnt get a chance to look at it. Stupid dealerships stop service at 5:30pm. They told me if it doesnt get looked at today it will be tmrw morning. Lets hope it isnt something costly or maybe warranty covered as i am strapped for cash and no car to get to work and back ....