Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra S mad scientist mystery photo.

Thanks

Micra S mad scientist mystery photo.

Name:  IMG_20160420_201013.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  72.7 KB
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Looks like a coleman cooler, with 2 12v case fans, and a few cooler packs.. Home made A/C!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You have mad scientist cred Howie...prototype...no idea yet if practical. Mounting fans on board so as not to wreck nice little cooler.. One fan blows in...one out.Name:  IMG_20160420_195040.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  90.4 KB

Thanks
    Also search for liquid cooled shirts. More efficient, but a bit more complicated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah man.. Lots of heat shrink tubing.. Apparently this works!

http://www.instructables.com/id/5-Ga...r-Conditioner/

So If you hook that up into the 12v of the micra, and set the fan full bore with recirculation on, would it work as AC?

Edit - Put a little more thought into it. If the cooler was small enough, you could probably cram it between the front seats. Drill a hole in the front and have both fans on the top blowing out, little towards the front and a little to the rear. Then when you go out, plop in your ice packs and away you go.

Or you could even do it the other way.. Have a hole in the top and a fan at the front and rear. I also wonder. Does anyone know where the micra sucks air in when its set to recirculate?

See.. I was thinkin.. Say its in the passenger footwell. If you could duct it and make an adapter to plug into the blower fan of the micra's recirculatory intake, then you wouldnt need the fans at all. It would suck the cold air out of the cooler and out through the car vents..
    Last edited by Howie; 04-20-2016 at 11:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Fellow Mad Scientists,

I want to come up with a fan system that wont cut any holes in the cooler, because i would like to be able to use the cooler...as a cooler.

Also, in the event that it actually has some ability to cool the car to a degree, it would be nice to be able to just stop at a gas station and buy a bag of ice and throw it in the box.Dump the water when melted, and repeat.

I will probably buy one of these:
    Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  40.0 KB

These small fans don"t move much air, thinking that maybe some holes around the edges, two fans pulling from top...
    Name:  cooler.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  39.3 KB

Ideally, as cold air sinks, you want the air pulled from the bottom, maybe a channel on the sides to the bottom, or maybe it wont make a difference much....fans cost $5.99 each, and i can make as many cardboard cutouts as necessary to try configurations till i eventually get a piece of Plastic or thin plywood to do the final cutout.

So any suggestions from your ridiculously large Mad Scientist brains for portable air conditioner for Micra S welcome. Better yet, make one.

Mwahahahahah
    Last edited by Moose; 04-21-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks
    Got a piece of polystyrene insulation and some duct tape. Air intake at the back, two fans pulling air from box and blowing over front lip of cooler. Can feel cool breeze frim about a foot away.

Need lighter adapter and more duct tape... And warm weather.
    Name:  IMG_20160423_185210.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  83.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160423_185255.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  download_20160423_191035.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  93.2 KB
    Last edited by Moose; 04-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    Its coming along really nicely Moose. In that configuration do you have the fans set up like one blows into the cooler and the other blows out?

Thanks

ok.. soooo... Pink is a sytofoam divider. The light blue boxes are ice packs or those reusable ice blocks.

The air goes in the intake and is pumped down over the ice blocks, under the divider and then sucked out through the other side.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Its coming along really nicely Moose. In that configuration do you have the fans set up like one blows into the cooler and the other blows out?
    Hi Howie,

This configuration is two fans pulling air from the box/ blowing out over lip, the slit at the back is where the air intakes, in other words air it is being sucked into the box by 2 exhaust fans.

You can probably seemin the pic that I made a little cowling to try and separate the intake from the exhaust. The idea of having the exhaust cowling aimed at the top edge of the box is that the cold exhaust air will fall over the edge, where the warm air will come in from the top (hot) air.

Thats the theory anyway.

I might buy two more fans and have that blowing air in, though there isn't much room left on the lid. Also with the little amount of cooler packs, probably that much airflow would melt them PDQ.

This is a very small cooler, i doubt i could fit a full bag of ice in it, but i have a slightly bit bigger one i might make a two fan in two fan out setup. These fans don't draw much, the computer shop has some bigger fans too...

Few notes:
    Fans are about 1 inch high, polystyrene is 1 inch high...just pressure fitted the fans in the hole i made, sealed the edges with duct tape.

I put the power cables in the dumbest possible place...next version put them to the side.

Got to get some construction paper to make a template to fit the lid to the box better, lots of little gaps around the sides.

Anyway, having fun, all comments and suggestions welcome Howie.