Thread: Custom Made Front Lower Suspension Brace

Thanks

Custom Made Front Lower Suspension Brace

So It just seemed just too easy to build that I had to build one for myself. I know, I still would like an aluminum one, but steel was just easier. Put it together in about an hour. First impression is good. Still feel body roll but seems to stop rolling a little sooner, like it's not rolling over as far as before. No way to accurately measure it but at the very least there is the placebo effect. I wonder if the square brace I've seen in another thread would add even more rigidity.

Just noticed I went to different mounting bolts than the ones Johnuk used. I wonder if they are the same distance apart? I can just move it back. However it may not make a difference.

Name:  IMG_20160411_232635.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20160411_232701.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  86.9 KB

Last edited by Vapor; 04-12-2016 at 01:39 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

fretalian (04-12-2016),Johnuk (04-12-2016),MetroMPG (04-13-2016),Wynter (04-12-2016)

Thanks
    Looks great! I think they are the same distance apart? I think the ones used on mine are because they are slightly higher up so gives a bit more clearance? And those points are mostly just chassis other than a very thin bit of subframe so maybe helps that bit more but can't be any real difference. You should knock a few out I'm sure people on here would buy them! Looks a great job!

Thanks
    So I figured out that where I put the brace is a no go. When turning hard while hitting a bump, or a quick reverse turn I kept hearing a bang that was very troubling to say the least. Turns out those bolts are for the rubber mounts that connect the steering rack to the frame. Best I could tell was somehow the rubber was compressing giving slack on the bolt and when it decompressed caused the brace to smack into the sub frame. Moved the brace back to the correct location and the holes still lined up, so I reinstalled it there.

On a side note I thought I found the cause of my rear end rattle but after snugging up a loose heat shield and testing it was still there.

Thanks
    Ah yeah of course! Good spot!
    Try the bolts that hold the rear bumper to the quarters by the arch. I found they were loose but don't tighten they just go round and round in the plastic clip things. Put a couple of washers on and they tightened up. Cured my rear rattle!

Thanks
    Nice work. I did a custom front brace once on one of my cars and it worked nicely.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...