Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NISMO Grill Badge (HOW TO)

Thanks

NISMO Grill Badge (HOW TO)

To get the badge to the correct side of the grill takes a little more work than one would think. Since this seems to be a popular add on, I decided I'd shine a little light on the subject.

For this mod to be done properly as in good enough to charge labour for, you will need a few things.

Tools
    Small flat head screwdriver
    5/16 wrench
    Pliers (Any kind other than cutters will do.)
    Name:  IMG_20160406_000311.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  87.6 KB

Supplies

Blue thread sealant
    Black spray paint. + (Primer if you have it around but not essential.)
    Cable ties
    Name:  IMG_20160405_215740.jpg
Views: 2623
Size:  85.1 KB

It came with two backing plates, two threaded studs and two 5/16's nuts.

The first thing I'm going to do is paint the backing plates black. This will prevent them from rusting as well as make them near invisible at first glance. Last thing you want is is shiny parts behind your grill starting to rust.
    Name:  IMG_20160405_220355.jpg
Views: 2581
Size:  86.9 KB

Next your going to want to coat the end of your studs in sealant and screw them into the back of your badge. Be careful not to cross thread the studs and when you have reached finger tight use your pliers to give it a little more torque. Not too much just about an eighth of a turn. Be sure you get the pliers as close to the badge on the stud as possible, you don't want to mess up the threads on the back half of the stud.
    Name:  IMG_20160405_215826.jpg
Views: 2668
Size:  90.2 KB

Then the best approach to mounting is by cable tying in your badge exactly where you want it to sit. This way you will not need that third hand to hold your badge while trying to slide on plates and spin nuts. It will span across two openings and you want to be level so one stud will touch the top of one opening and the bottom of the other.
    Name:  IMG_20160405_220252.jpg
Views: 2545
Size:  79.8 KB

Now you are ready to remove the push pins, use the flat head to pry the center of the pin up, remove them all it's just easier this way, don't forget the 3 pushed in horizontally that are holding the plastic rad cover. Now you will be able to lift the top skin of the grill assembly to slide out the rad cover. It will feel loose but still attached somehow. It is not, it is just hung up on obstacles. The two pieces you removed the horizontal push pins from on the passenger side of the cover are a little tricky. The inside mount crosses down in under the outside mount. Take a good look and remember this as that is the tricky part to reassembly. I marked the pushpins for orientation, H=Horizontal V=Vertical
    Name:  IMG_20160405_223949.jpg
Views: 2581
Size:  81.6 KB

By gently pulling, prying and maneuvering the cover, you can remove it from it's place and get access to the back of the grill. At this point it would be good to make a note of what side is the top. It can be confusing, at first glance you may try to reinstall upside down with no luck as I did. This is what your cover will look like removed.
    Name:  IMG_20160405_222620.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  80.4 KB

Now all you have to do is install your backing plates and nuts. Put some thread sealant on your stud before installing the nut. I installed my plates vertically to get maximum coverage, and therefor maximum hold. Be careful not to snug the nuts too tight. Remember your grill is just plastic, also you will notice the edge of your badge will slip over the lip of the opening and pulling in and making your badge look crooked if you go too tight so watch for that as a first sign of going too tight.

Once that is done you are ready for reassembly. Start by putting you rad cover back in. This is tricky at first, take your time and concentrate on where your mounts have to go and how you need to bend the cover to get it in there. I think the hood release mechanism is the major culprit hindering reassembly. Pop the cover in under that and it's all down hill from there. Push you plastic pushpins back in and close your hood, you should be looking at something like this.
    Name:  IMG_20160405_224015.jpg
Views: 2630
Size:  86.8 KB

Last edited by Vapor; 04-08-2016 at 01:18 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (04-06-2016),MetroMPG (04-07-2016),Papapoil (04-06-2016),Wynter (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Think I might swap mine to the other side when I buy a new Nismo badge. The chrome has all but gone now on mine but it's been on a year and only cost £3 haha. Helpful guide thank you!

Thanks
    This advice is also great if you want to access the grill to cover it with screening. I'd like to re-do mine with painted gutter guard as it's shaped differently than mesh wire, and contrary to what I posted, you can see the silver wire quite well, plus it's a messy job.

I didn't see the vertical pins, no wonder I couldn't figure out how to get the darn thing off! I also didn't prep the threads/nuts. When I lower the badge I'll do that. Another member here covered the outside with wax to protect. Luckily, my backing plates were dark charcoal color, saves me one step.

This post is valuable. Being a 'girl' I try. Here's a laugh, a lady saw me remove my license cover to apply the yearly sticker and said, 'you know how to do that yourself'. UGH, are you kidding! If you can't do that, I wouldn't trust your driving!
    Last edited by Wynter; 04-06-2016 at 09:55 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wynter For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-07-2016),LilGeckos (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Vapor - thanks for this DIY!

Adding it to the Micra modifications / customizations list

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    errrr.. Thanks Vapor...

Any French guy out here to help me translate this in French please...

Now you are ready to remove the push pins, use the flat head to pry the center of the pin up, remove them all it's just easier this way, don't forget the 3 pushed in horizontally that are holding the plastic rad cover. Now you will be able to lift the top skin of the grill assembly to slide out the rad cover. It will feel loose but still attached somehow. It is not, it is just hung up on obstacles. The two pieces you removed the horizontal push pins from on the passenger side of the cover are a little tricky. The inside mount crosses down in under the outside mount. Take a good look and remember this as that is the tricky part to reassembly. I marked the pushpins for orientation, H=Horizontal V=Vertical

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Voilà mon cher :

Vous en êtes maintenant à l'étape d'enlever les goupilles de plastique; retirez le centre de la goupille (la pin) avec un tournevis plat et enlevez-la complètement, c'est plus simple ainsi. N'oubliez pas les trois goupilles horizontales qui tiennent le couvercle en plastique situé au-dessus du radiateur. Vous pouvez maintenant enlever la partie supérieure de l'assemblage de la calandre et ainsi faire glisser le couvercle en plastique du radiateur vers l'extérieur. Il y aura du jeu dans le couvercle, mais il semblera encore un peu attaché. Il ne l'est pas, il est maintenu en place par divers obstacles. Les deux morceaux, situés du côté passager, desquels vous avez retiré les goupilles de plastique, sont un peu difficiles à enlever. Le morceau à l'intérieur doit être retiré en le passant à travers le morceau à l'extérieur. Prenez le temps de bien remarquer comment sont assemblées les pièces, car c'est plutôt compliqué de réassembler le tout. J'ai indiqué sur la photo l'orientation des goupilles de plastique : H pour horizontale et V pour verticale.
    Last edited by Papapoil; 04-07-2016 at 02:50 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2016),micra2080 (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Merci!!!! beaucoup mieux

Thanks
    J'ai hâte de voir les photos du produit fini!

Thanks
    Oh. je ne vais pas faire le badge, j'avais besoin des instructions en français pour le screen protector de la grille.

Thanks
    Hey Vapor, question for you, after you remove the 8 screws, and the black cover, would you be able to take the upper grill out?
    or there's more to do ?

2nd question, would you be able to access the lower grill too?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to micra2080 For This Useful Post:

Starwarsdad (12-13-2016)