Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra 1.6L: timing belt or chain? Interference engine? HR16DE

Thanks

Micra 1.6L: timing belt or chain? Interference engine? HR16DE

This is a question that comes up all the time for new cars. Fortunately we just have to look up the Versa sedan /Note specifications, since they both use the same HR16DE engine as the Micra does in Canada.

Answer: It's a chain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Is it an interference engine?

Thanks
    What is an interference engine? The chain seems like it's better than a belt.

Thanks
    An interference engine is one where the pistons will crash into open valves if the timing belt breaks. Given the compression ratio of 9.8:1, it's likely this is an interference engine. Given that it uses a chain instead of a belt, it's unlikely this would ever be an issue.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

jeff88 (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    How is the compression ratio linked to the (non)interference design?

If it is an interference with a chain, somebody someday will have an issue, but it will be an anomaly at worst. More than likely user error.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
    How is the compression ratio linked to the (non)interference design?
    Interference engines often have higher compression ratios, and the 1.6L in the Micra is relatively high.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
    If it is an interference with a chain, somebody someday will have an issue, but it will be an anomaly at worst. More than likely user error.
    There are plenty of points of failure on any engine; I can't see the timing chain being any less susceptible than, say, the pumps or bearings.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It could be interference or non-interference at the compression ratio its at. I had a 1997 Paseo, and it also had a 9.8:1 compression ratio engine and it was non-interference.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is an interference engine though. With a timing chain, you don't have to worry as much as you do with a timing belt. Not adding cutouts in the pistons for valve clearance allows for more optimized piston head design which should increase power and efficiency.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It could be interference or non-interference at the compression ratio its at. I had a 1997 Paseo, and it also had a 9.8:1 compression ratio engine and it was non-interference.
    Huh, that's odd, MSN Autos pegs it at 9.4:1 http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...eo&trimid=1055

So did Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1997/...pecifications/

Thanks
    Sorry, the 9.8:1 was a high compression version of the same engine, it pumped out about 10 more hp. It was only available overseas.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It's a chain.
    I'm so happy that forign auto manufacturers are spending the extra couple bucks on timing chains

the idea of spending $400-1200 every 50-80K miles on a new belt really sucks (especially when the car is meant to save money)