Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micra 1.6L: timing belt or chain? Interference engine? HR16DE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Sorry, the 9.8:1 was a high compression version of the same engine, it pumped out about 10 more hp. It was only available overseas.
    That's actually pretty cool, though at 103HP in that size of an engine, I'll bet the pistons would've been at least touching at that ratio!

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    There are sizable cutouts in the piston to allow for clearance. Below are the pistons in question. The raised center section bumps the compression from 9.4:1 to 9.8:1.

These are the 9.4:1 pistons:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

jeff88 (04-10-2014)

Thanks
    Ah. That explains it. Very cool. B)

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Interference engines often have higher compression ratios, and the 1.6L in the Micra is relatively high.
    Are you saying that because of the higher strength/unlikeliness of failure from the chain, that the manufacturer can increase CR without worrying about an increase likelihood in breakage?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
    Are you saying that because of the higher strength/unlikeliness of failure from the chain, that the manufacturer can increase CR without worrying about an increase likelihood in breakage?
    I would never make such an absolute assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

Thanks

Thanks
    So with the rather low compression ratio and if the timing chain slack adjuster will allow shaving the head is something to consider in the future especially if the head gasket goes south and a turbo is not your thing.