Thread: Questions For Your Micra? Ask This Nissan Parts Guy!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

The original damaged part.

Lines.

Compressor.

(Below edited from original)

Initially when I bought my micra, I didn't want an AC model. I wanted a barebones manual, but the stripes on this one won me over. And there wasn't any on the lot so I settled with the automatic which came with air conditioning.

Im an ex motorcycle enthusiast, so I enjoy the feeling of the wind and fresh air cooling me down at speed. Even tho the micra had air conditioning, the only time it was really used is when the defroster was selected. Even then I would hit the AC button to switch it off anyway.

So when I had a little crash with a racoon in 2014, and it popped the AC condensor, I pulled the fuse out and carried on. It seemed to eat the brunt of the animal and nothing else misbehaved.

The reason why I want to remove it completely is because of the compressor itself. I dont know if it has its own lubrication system or if the pulley will seize up and snap the belt. Its been over a year and thats my only concern really because from what I can tell that belt runs the alternator and water pump as well.

But if the compressor has it's own bearing and doesnt need any lubrication from the refrigerant, Ill just leave it alone with the broken parts sealed off and removed. If it does need it then Ill buy the idler pully assembly and mount it in place of the AC compressor.

TLDR: Is the ac compressor safe to leave on the engine if the AC system is unused?
    Last edited by Howie; 02-27-2016 at 03:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...