Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions For Your Micra? Ask This Nissan Parts Guy!

Thanks

The original damaged part.

Lines.

Compressor.

(Below edited from original)

Initially when I bought my micra, I didn't want an AC model. I wanted a barebones manual, but the stripes on this one won me over. And there wasn't any on the lot so I settled with the automatic which came with air conditioning.

Im an ex motorcycle enthusiast, so I enjoy the feeling of the wind and fresh air cooling me down at speed. Even tho the micra had air conditioning, the only time it was really used is when the defroster was selected. Even then I would hit the AC button to switch it off anyway.

So when I had a little crash with a racoon in 2014, and it popped the AC condensor, I pulled the fuse out and carried on. It seemed to eat the brunt of the animal and nothing else misbehaved.

The reason why I want to remove it completely is because of the compressor itself. I dont know if it has its own lubrication system or if the pulley will seize up and snap the belt. Its been over a year and thats my only concern really because from what I can tell that belt runs the alternator and water pump as well.

But if the compressor has it's own bearing and doesnt need any lubrication from the refrigerant, Ill just leave it alone with the broken parts sealed off and removed. If it does need it then Ill buy the idler pully assembly and mount it in place of the AC compressor.

TLDR: Is the ac compressor safe to leave on the engine if the AC system is unused?

Last edited by Howie; 02-27-2016 at 03:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    You should be okay just to leave it, unless the bearing starts to go. You should hear it before it becomes an issue. My suggestion is to always repair back to the way it was manufactured, or with an after market part.
    SMUTT155

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SMUTT155 For This Useful Post:

Howie (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    This doesn't look right. Sorry, photo isn't great. The wire housing is bent and cracked open, wires continue at the bend, except one wire, it goes down to what looks like the/a horn. Just wondering if this is supposed to be this way?
    Name:  100_1750.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  86.2 KB

Thanks
    This doesn't do a lot to show me where, or what this is for? Can you post a better picture of where the wire is in relation to any other parts?
    SMUTT155

Thanks
    As soon as you lift the hood, it's at the front just to the left. In this shot, you can see the bent area if you follow the black cord to almost the middle, that's where it looks like it's bent and if you zoom in you can see the wire leaving the cord.
    Name:  100_1753.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  89.9 KB

Thanks
    This is so cool having two nissan parts guys on the forum. Definitely handy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Who is our other parts guy?
    SMUTT155

Thanks
    This looks like a ground to your engine room harness however when I get a chance ill go look under a hood of my car and see how it looks?
    SMUTT155

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SMUTT155 For This Useful Post:

Wynter (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    In Howie's 3rd photo from the top, you can see the green wire at the top of the photo just off to the right of center. It's exposed a bit where it leads from the round smooth housing into the squared off housing. My housing is ribbed, and where it's 'cut' it then goes into a smooth housing. Not sure if this all helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SMUTT155 View Post
    Who is our other parts guy?
    Nebulatwonine from Quebec.