Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Got Micra questions? Post them here to get answers from a Nissan Canada expert

Thanks

Next batch of questions?

The Micra rep says they're happy to answer more questions. If we put together another batch of 10, I'll send it along.

And I think we now have an idea what types of questions are going to get actual answers vs. "no comment".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

trailer rating?

I thought of another question: does the Micra have a tow rating?

Little cars can be very practical choices especially when you can occasionally pull a little utility trailer with them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Okay, let me rephrase that: Assuming they are approved by Nissan Canada’s Quality Assurance team, where might an official temperature sending unit and an official oil pressure sending unit be installed on the engine block or engine head?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Okay, let me rephrase that: Assuming they are approved by Nissan Canada’s Quality Assurance team, where might an official temperature sending unit and an official oil pressure sending unit be installed on the engine block or engine head?
    The engine has to already know its temperature and gauge it somewhere, it would simply be tapping into whats already there (I have to imagine.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    I don't know if this will help you, but you can an OEM Oil Pressure Sending Unit for the Versa: since it shares the same entrance with the Micra, you may be able to use inquire with a Nissan mechanic where this part would go on the Versa engine, and apply it to the Micra. Also, would some of the information be available through the Micra's OBDII port? With the proper OBDII bluetooth adapter, you could feed the information to a tablet or smart phone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nintu View Post
    The engine has to already know its temperature and gauge it somewhere, it would simply be tapping into whats already there (I have to imagine.)
    If it were that simple, one would think that the resident expert would be able to say as such.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I don't know if this will help you, but you can an OEM Oil Pressure Sending Unit for the Versa: since it shares the same entrance with the Micra, you may be able to use inquire with a Nissan mechanic where this part would go on the Versa engine, and apply it to the Micra. Also, would some of the information be available through the Micra's OBDII port? With the proper OBDII bluetooth adapter, you could feed the information to a tablet or smart phone.
    That's the sort of information I'm after. If the 1.6L is a world engine, it probably has all kinds of unused ports molded in the block that can be used for aftermarket purposes.

Thanks
    FYI, you can get precise (numerical degrees C/F readout) coolant temp from the OBD-II port, since coolant temp is closely related to emissions control programming in the ECU/PCM. Something like a ScanGauge or Ultragauge will display this (and a pile of other useful things). There are probably also phone apps that will do this over an OBD-II bluetooth connection for less money.

And Nissan would have no objection to OBD readers.

Oil pressure isn't normally available via OBD-II though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-23-2014)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    FYI, you can get precise (numerical degrees C/F readout) coolant temp from the OBD-II port, since coolant temp is closely related to emissions control programming in the ECU/PCM. Something like a ScanGauge or Ultragauge will display this (and a pile of other useful things). There are probably also phone apps that will do this over an OBD-II bluetooth connection for less money.

And Nissan would have no objection to OBD readers.

Oil pressure isn't normally available via OBD-II though.
    That is a really good post and kinda what I figured. It would just be a matter of blue-tooth obd-II. Thanks Metro. ;D

Thanks
    AlphaMicro, if you're comfortable ordering online, and don't want to use a OBDII bluetooth adapter in concert with a smartphone, tablet, or GPS, you can order a wired, multipurpose gauge from Ultra-gauge.com. It can report back a variety of temperatures, according to its list of gauges, one of which will hopefully meet your needs.

You can also get an OBDII heads up display on eBay, or another site, like Montreal Imports, which can have a temperature gauge on it.

Here's a review from beyond.ca of such a heads up display

The below Youtube video shows the location of the OBDII port on a 2012 Micra; the interior looks similar enough it might be in the same place on a 2014.