Thread: Block Heater Extension Cord.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Block Heater Extension Cord.

I just had my block heater replaced last Friday. It was shorting out and tripping the ground fault circuit on the house. It was shorted close to the plug end. I figured that I should find a better way to plug in the car so I modified a block heater extension cable and installed it in the car today since it was warm outside (-2 no wind).

Here is the cable used with the to be installed end since the original had spaces for three plugs and I only need one. Plus it was kinda long.

Name:  DSCF0473.jpg
Views: 4140
Size:  104.8 KB

Cable with new end in place ready for install.

Name:  DSCF0492.jpg
Views: 4964
Size:  100.9 KB

Wire tied the plug end to the bottom of the front grill. This is just for now. I'll probably shorten the wire more and have it on the drivers side of the car. Summer project I guess.

Name:  DSCF0493.jpg
Views: 4939
Size:  97.7 KB

The wire is then run up and across the engine bay along the gap for the bonnet. Or is hood the proper term.

Name:  DSCF0494.jpg
Views: 4592
Size:  95.4 KB

It was then run over to where the new heater cord is and plugged in. I then just tucked it down by the battery.

Name:  DSCF0495.jpg
Views: 7405
Size:  99.6 KB

Everything works. Now I have a warmed engine again. Never had a working block heater for almost four weeks this year and I did miss it. Engine should start easier again plus I'll get some heat quicker too. This cord is easily replaced should something happen to it.

Name:  DSCF0496.jpg
Views: 5368
Size:  95.7 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LilGeckos For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-26-2016)