Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block Heater Extension Cord.

Thanks

Block Heater Extension Cord.

I just had my block heater replaced last Friday. It was shorting out and tripping the ground fault circuit on the house. It was shorted close to the plug end. I figured that I should find a better way to plug in the car so I modified a block heater extension cable and installed it in the car today since it was warm outside (-2 no wind).

Here is the cable used with the to be installed end since the original had spaces for three plugs and I only need one. Plus it was kinda long.

Name:  DSCF0473.jpg
Views: 4110
Size:  104.8 KB

Cable with new end in place ready for install.

Name:  DSCF0492.jpg
Views: 4934
Size:  100.9 KB

Wire tied the plug end to the bottom of the front grill. This is just for now. I'll probably shorten the wire more and have it on the drivers side of the car. Summer project I guess.

Name:  DSCF0493.jpg
Views: 4910
Size:  97.7 KB

The wire is then run up and across the engine bay along the gap for the bonnet. Or is hood the proper term.

Name:  DSCF0494.jpg
Views: 4563
Size:  95.4 KB

It was then run over to where the new heater cord is and plugged in. I then just tucked it down by the battery.

Name:  DSCF0495.jpg
Views: 7377
Size:  99.6 KB

Everything works. Now I have a warmed engine again. Never had a working block heater for almost four weeks this year and I did miss it. Engine should start easier again plus I'll get some heat quicker too. This cord is easily replaced should something happen to it.

Name:  DSCF0496.jpg
Views: 5336
Size:  95.7 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LilGeckos For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-26-2016)

Thanks
    I wish I could use my block heater. But my outdoor outlet is pooched right now. :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I wish I could use my block heater. But my outdoor outlet is pooched right now. :/
    Most homes built under the Ontario electrical code will have its outdoor outlet on a circuit with a second outdoor outlet and usually found installed at the front and back of the house. One of the two outlets will have a trip switch type outlet installed and when tripped, both outlets are dead. Resetting the trip switch gets things going again. Other than that a dead outlet could be a breaker in the panel has been tripped off.

Thanks
    True... But alas, I live in military housing. They dont have to fall under the code when it's convenient for them.

However, they are quick to charge me "fair market value" for my home. I guess it could be worse. They will fix it someday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    That sucks. It does make a difference though when starting in cold weather. I replaced my extension cord to the car before figuring out what was wrong. Who would have suspected an 17 month old car of developing that problem. It was repaired under warranty though.

Is this alteration worthy of the mod list on here?

Thanks
    I would say so! (mods list)

Makes sense to use a "sacrificial" cord for all the plugging/unplugging/exposure to the elements, and leave the OEM cord tucked away in the engine compartment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Agree, nice mod!

Thanks
    I didn't know there was a block heater in the S model until reading these posts. I bought an extension cord, 'hid' the cord as best I could (our rented garages do not permit using the hydro except for the door opener). I ran the cord above the opener, put a nail in the beam to support the cord, and hid the rest on the top shelf.

Now, if I can get that darn cord through the car grill, I've tried, and have read the posts here, it will make using it much easier.

Here's my handywork:

Name:  100_1734.jpg
Views: 3567
Size:  86.1 KB

Thanks
    Most owners of the Micra probably don't know they have a block heater since it's wire tied down beside the battery. Almost invisible there. I never could get it out of the car in any real way so that is why the extension cord inside the car. You can have it any length and get it to the outside. Makes me wonder if the block heater they used for the Micra was actually meant to be used in some other Nissan car.
    Last edited by LilGeckos; 02-01-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    It's the exact same pain to get it out of the Versa

Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18