Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GM fights back: $9995 2016 Chevrolet Spark Canada's cheapest new car

Thanks
    If this 206 Spark is anything like its 2013 the engine eats oil, the 2014 has numerous engine problems and transmission issues, the 2015 has engine issues. Should be a worthwhile buy if you like visiting your dealership. carcomplaints.com

Thanks
    ^ The Spark's engine is new for 2016. I've heard about oil consumption in the previous model though.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Took one for a boot a while ago...
    Nice summary. Now I don't feel the need to drive one!

handles fairly well- its not a garbage barge like the mirage, wallowing like an elephant on a skateboard. The spark is probably just as planted as the micra.
    The Mirage's suspension was firmed up for the revised 2017 model which is available now, but the one "professional" review I've seen so far says it's still too soft. I want to try one of the 2017's too.

Did you drive the CVT or manual?

there are only 30 LS Manual Sparks ordered in Ontario from dealers
    That's funny.

I wonder if Nissan did the same with the Micra? Initially I think they may have. I recall more than a few members saying they could get an S, but not in the colour they wanted. Or if they wanted to pick the colour, they had to order it and wait a month or 2. Later, I think they started bringing in more Ses.

The success of the spark is going to lie in the hands of the dealerships.
    Yup. They still only sold something like 298 of them last month. Although, they may not be fully deployed yet. The local GM store only got any in the last week or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I tried the Base 2016 Spark and the Micra back to back and here are the big differences I noticed.

The Spark is quieter.
    The Spark's interior also gets the nod, it is nicer and better appointed.
    The Clutch has a broader engagement point.
    The shifting is a bit better. (manual)
    The electronics certainly have the "Gee-Whiz" factor

The handling feels very similar, at least initially. However I soon felt and heard road irregularities through the suspension of the Spark, it blew through the suspension travel quickly. I felt more than a couple of thuds. It seems that short travel is the path chevy took to limit body roll. I would say the Micra wins the handling contest over a greater variety of conditions.....Hands Down!

The throttle response on the Spark was not very good below 2500 rpm, exhibiting some unpleasant flat-spots. It did feel like an updated computer reflash could fix it though. The Micra still felt more sorted and generally very eager, I really think the Micra has the better engine package.

More space for my 6'3" frame in the Micra.
    More back seat room in the Micra.
    Less plastic in the engine bay, notably an alloy valve cover.
    Micra gives you metal clutch and brake pedal arms. The Spark has a plastic clutch arm, not sure about the brake.
    Apart from the extra noise the Micra is a far better driving experience overall, that is, if you want a snappy little sporty car. It's like a modernized, old school mini.

Also.....

The Chevy dealers really weren't engaged or overly interested in the car and lamented the tiny profit margin on the Spark, it was kinda off-putting and depressing.

The Nissan guys were just the opposite, they were all pretty pumped on the Micra, also they were pumped on the Micra Cup, no whinging there.

Anyway, I just picked up a Micra.

It's just more FUN!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:

grevesz (05-21-2016),Howie (05-11-2016),LilGeckos (05-11-2016),MetroMPG (05-11-2016),micrapolis (05-11-2016),Wynter (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    huge thanks to grok and howie for their very comprehensive reviews.

seeing as how nissan doesnt sell as many gas guzzlers as GM/chevy does, it's not surprising that GM is up to its old tricks of steering customers away from their subcompacts. the chevy is on paper, serious conmpetition to the micra....but i expect the dealers will squander it, as usual.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    huge thanks to grok and howie for their very comprehensive reviews.

seeing as how nissan doesnt sell as many gas guzzlers as GM/chevy does, it's not surprising that GM is up to its old tricks of steering customers away from their subcompacts. the chevy is on paper, serious conmpetition to the micra....but i expect the dealers will squander it, as usual.
    I'm glad to share my impressions. Like I said, I voted with my wallet.

The odd thing with the Chevy dealer is that I am a current customer and take my Corvette in there for regular service. I was seriously considering the Spark because of the overall positive reviews and my general satisfaction with the dealership.

The Spark certainly has the shiny Novelty aspect nailed down and I'm sure the University/College crowd will snap them up if the salesmen step up to the plate. It is a car to build a dealer relationship on and they are blowing it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-12-2016)

Thanks
    Yup.. Well, they have no one to blame but themselves.

America:
    Hurr hurr hurr.. You must be poorly equipped there canada boy, lookit your car, its so teeny. BUT LOOK AT MY CHEVY SUBURBAN! Hurr hurrr.. Its gotta be big cuz 'MERICAAAH! I live in a trailer but god damn it. LOOK AT MY TRUCK.

Meanwhile the rest of the world:
    Holy crap, Gas/petrol is expensive. I better pick something that consumes very little of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (05-13-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    I'm glad to share my impressions. Like I said, I voted with my wallet.
    The fact you're a current GM customer speaks volumes. Thanks again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Yup.. Well, they have no one to blame but themselves.

America:
    Hurr hurr hurr.. You must be poorly equipped there canada boy, lookit your car, its so teeny. BUT LOOK AT MY CHEVY SUBURBAN! Hurr hurrr.. Its gotta be big cuz 'MERICAAAH! I live in a trailer but god damn it. LOOK AT MY TRUCK.

Meanwhile the rest of the world:
    Holy crap, Gas/petrol is expensive. I better pick something that consumes very little of it.

while i agree, i know from Canadian sales statistics that we are not that different from the US....pickups and SUVs are doing crazy good sales in the wake of low oil prices. In fact, i've heard that percentage wise, the uptick in pickup sales is greater here than in the US.

now, if those sales are for practical reasons (say, you or your family needs the extra ride height for medical/health reasons, or you actually tow and haul regularly as part of your life/hobby/career/money), then sure, you need those gas guzzling big vehicles. But most don't, except like 5 times a year or something.

and surprise surprise, Canadian household debt is skyrocketing. temporarily low oil prices + easy credit = terrible consumer habits that we financially responsible taxpyaers will get dinged for, sooner or later.

alas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (05-13-2016)

Thanks

Sparks sales on hold for airbag issue

Spark sales have crashed in the U.S. in the last 2 months. They only delivered 11 (eleven) of them in June.

Now we know why:

The significant sales drops are directly attributed to the Chevy Spark recall and subsequent stop-sale issued in May impacting the vehicle’s passenger-side airbag module.
    http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/06/...ults-may-2017/

Not sure if this also affects Canada yet or not. The June numbers from GM Canada seem to be late.

Meanwhile, the Micra had its best month in a long time in June. Over 1000 delivered.

Thanks
    please dont tell me our cars are still using takata....(they're using takata, right?)

Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ