Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GM fights back: $9995 2016 Chevrolet Spark Canada's cheapest new car

Thanks

Nissan fights back: $9988

This is hilarious: it sounds like Nissan didn't like having the "cheapest car" crown stolen by GM:

When Chevrolet parked the MSRP of the 2016 Spark just three dollars below the Nissan Micra’s then-cheapest Canadian price of $9,998, Nissan countered with a $10 price drop to $9,988. Now, with the dust settled, Micra maintains the title of Canada’s most affordable car
    It's not reflected on Nissan's web site though... which is still advertising the 2015 Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

First Spark review

First review I've seen... sounds like the new one is quite a bit better than the old one.

The reviewer tested the base trim and was surprised by the refinement & highway stability vs. Micra & Mirage.

This is the runaway value for $10,000.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle29258659/

Still, GM only sold 235 Sparks last month, vs. 1184 Micras, 451 Mirages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This is hilarious: it sounds like Nissan didn't like having the "cheapest car" crown stolen by GM:

It's not reflected on Nissan's web site though... which is still advertising the 2015 Micra.
    Their April Fools story used 9,988 as the elevation for the climb portion...
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    Yes! I saw that and thought it was a typo. Now it makes sense.

Thanks
    new spark certainly has superior safety and convenicen features than the micra....on paper...

but i cant beileve they (Spark) still put out that weaker hp and torque engine. i mean, its a heavier car than the previous...

Thanks
    The Toronto Star Wheels review on the weekend had a similar conclusion to the Globe & Mail review:

New Spark: more tech features; more refined drive; nice interior
    Micra: more fun; "1990's stereo"

GM was smart: it appears they rolled out the Spark with just the base 5-speed $10k model for journalists to drive. Undoubtedly the CVT would get the car a lot less friendly reception from most auto reviewers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I have 3 kids. 3 seats in the rear is a must- Cramped, yes. But absolutely necessary.
    Funny that none of the reviews have picked up on this point yet.

Driving.ca's review is similar to the others so far. Micra is more fun, Spark is more refined:

the Micra, hardly a drag racer, felt like a lithium-fuelled rocket ship compared with the Spark. If you’re buying a subcompact hatchback and plan on spending your Friday nights at the strip lining up against the staging lights, go with the Micra. [...] In the real world, where most of us live, the Spark is so much nicer to drive.
    http://driving.ca/chevrolet/spark/re...hevrolet-spark

Thanks
    Note -- I split the EV posts into a dedicated thread:

Thread: EV discussion: Spark, Leaf, Volt...

Thanks

$10k Sparks in town

Looks like the local GM dealer got a truckload of Sparks recently. They're lined up out front like a bunch of skittles: green, red & blue.

I may go have a look and see if I can take one for a spin.

Thanks
    Took one for a boot a while ago. Narrow little thing. Could use a few more ponies but its adequate. Zippy even. It handles fairly well- its not a garbage barge like the mirage, wallowing like an elephant on a skateboard. The spark is probably just as planted as the micra.

I like the infotainment center. I also like the steering wheel controls, but this is the 2lt model I tried. In typical GM fashion, the dealer only ordered 1 Base model Manual (LS), the rest are all premium.

Block heater is a $150 option. Probably wont need it tho. Floor mats are also $150 option. But the base model DOES have the MyLink fancy stereo- A big point if you area tecchie.

Called GM Canada for some more insight because the vehicle locator service isn't working. The representative informed me that there are only 30 LS Manual Sparks ordered in Ontario from dealers to go into their inventories.

Base model micra vs base model spark. With the spark you get a few more treats. You get onstar with the LTE and hotspot. You get a tire pressure monitor system. You get a USB port. You get outside temperature display. You get an oil life monitor. You get a backup camera. And you get a bit more fuel economy. Not to mention the rear cargo shelf is standard. The micra is a bit heavier at 1044kg then the sparks 1010kg, but the micra has 109hp compared to the sparks 98hp. I dont think you will see much of a performace difference between the two.

What you don't get is room for a third passenger in the back seat.. almost a 100l smaller trunk. (3 cubic feet smaller) Almost 100l smaller interior (about 3 cubic feet) 10cm less rear leg room, Smaller fuel tank. Smaller track as well- Hell. Its simply a smaller car then the micra and thats it. Interesting thing tho is the CVT LS model gives you Air conditioning wither you like it or not, but lacks the cruise control like the micra S auto has.

So. I guess it comes down to priorities. Is the back seat important to you? If not then the spark is a pretty worthy competitor. I was actually nicely impressed by it. Seriously. Its really not bad at all.

I dont really expect the price to stay down on the LS manuals for long. Its a promotion. The success of the spark is going to lie in the hands of the dealerships. A few GM dealerships in my area only have the spark as a lure to get you in the door and persuade you into something larger, so I would say go to a major city to look at the spark where they wont care so much about the profit margin they are taking. If the dealerships promote the spark and steer people at it, the micra will be in for serious competition. If they just use it as a step stone to get people into more expensive cars, then it will flop in a few years.

Last edited by Howie; 05-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

grevesz (05-21-2016),MetroMPG (05-10-2016),micrapolis (05-11-2016)