Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why your Micra's fuel economy is worse in the winter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Why your Micra's fuel economy is worse in the winter

Anyone else notice thier fuel economy drop in the winter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Not really. But not much of a winter tho..
    I swear I actually got better mileage the other day. ( drove the speed limit due to vertigo lol)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Still not complaining really...think i'm averaging around 7.5 for the winter months. maybe 7.75...
    my previous car averaged 10.4-10.7 in the summer!
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Mine is horrible since i put the snow tires on...I don't think the temps have been bad enough, and road conditions aren't bad enough to have a real bad drop at this point. come Feb, Mar they likely will.
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    This topic is worth a dedicated thread. Because I'm the resident fuel economy nerd!

There are so many factors that conspire against winter vs. summer MPG:

1) Winter fuel blend has less energy density that summer blend.

2) Engine takes longer to warm up. This means a richer air/fuel mixture for longer. It also cools off faster, so you're doing more cold starts in multiple daily trips than in the summer.

3) Auto trans holds higher engine RPM for longer. The car won't shift into top gear until a certain operating temperature, which kills economy.

4) You're not idling to warm up are you? That's infinity L/100 km / zero MPG and it kills your average.

5) Higher accessory use due to the cold & dark: eg. fan/defrost/full lights

6) Higher average lubricant viscosity: engine oil thickens as it cools. So does transmission and differential fluids and even bearing grease. Significantly more energy is needed to overcome the added drag these cold lubricants cause.

7) Increased rolling resistance from: cold; possibly from your type of snow tires

7.5) Also ridiculous resistance from that snowy/slushy stuff on the road.

8) Lower tire pressure: related to the above... you know your tire pressure drops in step with ambient, right? I see a LOT of obviously low tires on cars when the weather turns cold.

9) Higher aerodynamic drag:
    aerodynamic drag is proportional to air density, and air density increases as temperature drops. For every 10 degree F drop in temperature, aerodynamic drag increases by 2%

10) Snow/ice on the car: added weight AND worse aerodynamics! Did you clean the snow off your roof? Sure you did.

There may be even more reasons than these. Some of them have a small impact, and some of them are big. Added together, it's not unusual for the average person to see a 20% drop in winter fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2016),Howie (01-14-2016),L1ghtninchris (01-17-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    2) Engine takes longer to warm up. This means a richer air/fuel mixture for longer. It also cools off faster, so you're doing more cold starts in multiple daily trips than in the summer.
    This is likely a huge issue for me, since I'm always starting and stopping my vehicle between patient visits. Sometimes I'm in their homes for 30+ minutes.
    My fear is dead. Ambition drove the hearse.

Thanks
    All very logical reasons! Thank you metro.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    For me, fuel economy got worse because gas is so much cheaper. I love rippin' it, but I think I'm still getting far better fuel economy than I deserve.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (01-14-2016)

Thanks
    Why is the fuel economy of an automobile worse in the winter than in the summer?

Harold Schock, professor of mechanical engineering and the director of the Automotive Research Experiment Station at Michigan State University, explains.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-15-2016)

Thanks
    Simple: all the fun in empty parking lots!
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptbo micra For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (01-15-2016),MetroMPG (01-15-2016)