Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Micra suitable for high speed highway driving, long distance

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks

Edmonton to Las Vegas & Death Valley and back

Hi there, we recently (in February 2017) drove our 2015 Micra from Edmonton to Las Vegas & Death Valley and back; if you would like to hear how our Little Guy handled the snow storms, driving rain storms, high mountain interstate highway driving at 80+ mph, some desert off roading and the Las Vegas traffic, come check our our post under the Micra Photography topic. Hope this info helps!

Link to trip description & photos: http://micra-forum.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post17842

Last edited by MetroMPG; 03-06-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: (added link)
    Nice!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Micra In The Mountains For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks!

I added the link to your post with travelogue and pics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Micra In The Mountains (07-30-2017)

Thanks
    As a tall driver I would prefer a vehicle with more room. Over 100KMH it will use more fuel which is typical of all Nissan vehicles.
    So I prefer my Volkswagen Jetta TDI naturally. We keep this little guy for city. IMO, If you can run a Smart car all over Alaska, why not a Micra all of NA!

I wish they would design a gearbox for cruise at 120 ish that's what kills it. They design it for city speed > 80/90 km/h efficiency so above that it's in the power band and wants more fuel.

If I could cruise at 2000ish rpm maybe 2500 tops is be happy.
    But I think that's a lot to ask of an n/a 1.6 .. A turbo with 200hp no problem..

But it is what it is .... ( until it gets an sr20vet with 6 speed MT)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    I wish they would design a gearbox for cruise at 120 ish that's what kills it. They design it for city speed > 80/90 km/h efficiency so above that it's in the power band and wants more fuel.

If I could cruise at 2000ish rpm maybe 2500 tops is be happy.
    But I think that's a lot to ask of an n/a 1.6 .. A turbo with 200hp no problem..

But it is what it is .... ( until it gets an sr20vet with 6 speed MT)
    I quite agree. It is what it is and its a great car. a 5 or 6 speed auto would be great but then Nissan kept costs down to keep it at 10K entry. An option would be fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
    I quite agree. It is what it is and its a great car. a 5 or 6 speed auto would be great but then Nissan kept costs down to keep it at 10K entry. An option would be fantastic
    Or make your own options...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-06-2017)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I recall when the original Versa went from manual 5 speed to manual 6 speed people got exited. What Nissan did was to close up the gear ratios and the new 6th gear was pretty much the same as the old 5th gear. I had a 1994 Dodge version of the Mitsubishi Mirage with the 5 speed manual. It didn't have a tach but you could tell that the 5th gear was really tall. There was no power in 5th but it was perfect for highway cruising. I managed on one perfect day, to get 65 MPG on a trip from central Vancouver Island, thru Vancouver and Washington State to Portland Oregon and then the last 80 miles to the coast on less than a tank. Sunny, 23C and 25 kmh tailwind, speed about 65MPH on the freeway.

Thanks
    Hey Rupert, whereabouts are you on Van Isle? I work in Courtenay, but live in Campbell River. I pass by a few micras every morning.

Thanks
    I recently put new summer all season tires on my 15" alloys, and decided to go with a 185/65R15, like the base model Versa. I had to bring in the rims and convince the tire shop that they were for a base model Versa. The results on the highway are pretty dramatic, the speedometer seems more accurate, I don't have to constantly keep the needle at 130km/h to keep up with traffic, 120km/h seems to work fine. The trade-off is that the car has lost just a bit of its edge in the corners and in accelerating, but the car is so light, it's barely noticeable. Also makes the car look better with chunkier tires, IMHO.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyyCarter View Post
    Hey Rupert, whereabouts are you on Van Isle? I work in Courtenay, but live in Campbell River. I pass by a few micras every morning.
    Hi Frosty: I live in beautiful downtown Comox.