Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: my cursed Micra

Thanks

my cursed Micra

Not long ago I hit a fox on the highway, radiator dead and some front damage! Now A evil black Versa attack my Micra in the back at the entry of Jacques-Cartier bridge!!!! the micra still run and the versa go on the towing!!!! strange damage!! Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  86.6 KB Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  90.8 KB Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  94.5 KB Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  95.9 KB [ATTACH]1768[/ATTACH ] Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  94.8 KB Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  89.7 KB the tow hook received the hit and the floor pan the majority of the damage!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palourde77 For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (12-14-2015),IMPUL (12-11-2015),LilGeckos (12-19-2015),MetroMPG (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Oh no... I hope everyone is ok. No neck pain or anything I hope..

*I am not an insurance adjuster or non destructive technician*

In your 5th picture, it looks like the seam has let go, as it was designed. As well in the back, the crumple zone also looks like it has begun to fold as it has been designed to.

Newer cars with unibody designs are designed with front, rear and side crumple zones, surrounding a reinforced safety "cage" if you will. The crumple zones are typically single or laminated single sheet steel, designed to crumple on impact as the force of the impact is absorbed by making the metal bend and contort as needed. Less force reaches the safety cell and in turn, less force is brought onto the driver. It is intentionally weak for a purpose. For example, the indents in the trunk on pictures 5 and 7 are specifically designed to bend and fold a certain way in a rear end collision.

Another way to look at it is the front of the micra. It has a pitiful front bumper for a reason, the bending and crushing of that weak metal and the ac condenser, rad, etc is designed to dissipate the energy of the collision before it reaches the occupants. The weird damage we see in modern crashes is all by careful design, even our headrests in the micra are specifically sized to prevent whiplash. Even the air gap between the front bumper cover and the actual bumper itself is there for pedestrian safety, along with the slope of the hood in an attempt to minimize injury to the pedestrian. The engine mounts are designed with specific grade bolts and will break away in an impact to allow the engine to drop and not be pushed through the firewall.

The problem with crumple zones is that they are extremely difficult to repair once damaged. Steel once bent is no longer as strong as when it was cast and if a second impact occurs will not hold the same characteristics as it did originally. Certain items like seatbelts, the webbing can become stretched in an impact and if the pretensioners activate and lock, the seatbelts will have to be replaced. (As a side note, the position of the belts when the pretensioner activates can tell an investigator if the seatbelt was worn at the time of impact. If the seatbelt was not on, it will usually be tight against the door panel.) If you had any carseats in the vehicle at the time, they should also be replaced as they are only designed for one impact.

All of these items can be quite expensive, as is labor at a proper body shop that can repair the floor pan.

Long story short, the micra has performed as it was designed, and is most likely a write-off, but thankfully you were rear ended, so the fault isn't on you. (Also, Im not a police officer, but that seems to be the way it goes.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (12-11-2015),micrapolis (12-15-2015)

Thanks
    everybody is ok! The other car( the versa) visualy had a lot of damage, but it's mainly the plasctic front bumper that exploded! I hopre to not test the impact capacity of my Micra again!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to palourde77 For This Useful Post:

Wynter (03-23-2016)

Thanks
    That sucks!

Thanks
    Thanks for posting the pics.

Did you see the crash coming? Can you estimate how fast the evil Versa was going?

Remember the good old days of "5 mph" bumpers with built-in shock absorbers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    the evil Versa was going maybe 30 kmh on impact, with full brake. like: iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii(bruit de pneu en francais!) bang!She looked for the right way to go and bang to late! I will sacrifice a Versa on the next full moon

Thanks
    Ok Palourde77,I hit a porcipine you hit a fox. You get rear ended I get rear ended! That's right a Chevy cruze hit me from behind and drove me into a trailer towing murano. Me zero kph. The cruze at least seventy kph. The lady who hit me never touched the brake at all as I watched her up to the point of impact in my mirror and the nose did not dive one bit. It won't be fixed, it is a gonner. I have a sore face and jaw ,cuts and getting sore everywhere else. The lady who hit me was transported to hospital by ambulance with a suspected broken leg and she couldn't remember anything and said she didn't even see me. Sorry the pic is inverted I am concussed and cant fix it now..

Name:  $$$$micra-.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  88.2 KB
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-11-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: (fixed pic)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (12-14-2015),LilGeckos (12-19-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ok Palourde77,I hit a porcipine you hit a fox. You get rear ended I get rear ended! That's right a Chevy cruze hit me from behind and drove me into a trailer towing murano. Me zero kph. The cruze at least seventy kph. The lady who hit me never touched the brake at all as I watched her up to the point of impact in my mirror and the nose did not dive one bit. It won't be fixed, it is a gonner. I have a sore face and jaw ,cuts and getting sore everywhere else. The lady who hit me was transported to hospital by ambulance with a suspected broken leg and she couldn't remember anything and said she didn't even see me. Sorry the pic is inverted I am concussed and cant fix it now..
    oh **** bad accident. RIP Pete Micra.

Your insurance will pay off ur loan(if u have one)

what u gunna get now after this one is written off?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to L1ghtninchris For This Useful Post:

Pete (12-12-2015)

Thanks
    Oh man, that sucks!

Hope you're feeling better soon... like this weekend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pete (12-12-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Doh, sorry to hear that! I'm glad you're okay enough to tell us about it and post at all!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Pete (12-12-2015)