Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 1.6 HR16DE Modifications

Thanks

2015 1.6 HR16DE Modifications

I am just wondering if there are any substantial mods you can do to this small of an engine bay to increase HP/Torque. If anyone knows of anything in that kinda area of improving the hr16de your info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    There is not a lot available in Canada yet. Some members have installed the injen intake for the versa and various exhaust mods but not much yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is not a lot available in Canada yet. Some members have installed the injen intake for the versa and various exhaust mods but not much yet.
    So if i understand you correctly its a versa intake that is compatible with the new micra? I most definitely could be wrong, just looking for some insight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tykes View Post
    So if i understand you correctly its a versa intake that is compatible with the new micra? I most definitely could be wrong, just looking for some insight.
    The versa injen intake almost fits it just needs an little piece added on where it bolts to the engine for support and vibration other than that the maf sensor and everything else is the same. The injen one is the better option imo because it doesn't use the stock rubber boot for vibration like the micra cup one does where it hooks to the throttle body.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    That's very helpful, I appreciate it Pete. As I'm a new owner, just looking for insight towards how and where I can make modifications.

There are a few, what kind of power are you looking to make?
    Breather mods without tuning are only going to do so much.
    A small low pressure turbo and standalone ecu or piggy back could add another 40-80 hp
    I would think that 200hp is the max you should build to. And even that is risky.
    If your looking for power above that a mr16 ( juke engine ) swap would be more reliable ( 190hp stock)
    Since it's already turbo'd it can handle the power. The mr16 has been tuned to 310hp regularly, it is reliable at that level.

If you thinking internals, I'm not sure if anything is available yet, and the block& head is milled under stress so that the head when torqued straightens the block. So decking would be difficult unless they can also stress the block.

Also, spending what I could assume is close to $4k+ to gain 60 or so hp when you could buy and install a mr16 with a turbo for about the same but with 90hp extra to start just doesn't make sense when the hr16 is like $500- 800 at a wreckers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

Howie (12-03-2015),ptbo micra (11-28-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It can be worthwhile to look at other cars that use this HRDE16 engine.

For example the Nissan Juke : http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=69-7079TS

On Wiki there's a list of all cars that use this engine : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_HR_engine#HR16DE

(my previous Micra from 2008 used the same engine)

Thanks
    Swapping in a different engine is going to be really difficult. Namely redoing fuel lines, ECU, and probably the biggest headache, transmission. But of course you could get lucky and have them marry up right away.

If your thinking of going big you have to determine what you're going to be getting out of the car. A few more HP for zipping about? A little more passing power? Drag race, autox?

HR16 isn't a bad motor. Its got a lot going for it. Namely the variable valve timing and the twin injectors per cylinder. I'd start with an intake and exhaust and go from there.

When adding a turbo to the micra ask yourself the questions:
    -Can the stock ECU handle that much airflow going past it ?
    -Will the injectors be able to give enough duty cycle to prevent the engine from leaning out?
    -Can the stock internals handle the increased pressure?
    -Can the transmission handle the increase?
    -Can I get an exhaust manifold that will support a turbo, and fit?
    -Can my cooling system handle the heat?

The results from the micra cup have shown the stock engine can handle a quite a bit of abuse in it's (nearly) stock form!

Personally my I would shy away from doing much modification to the micra's engine and focus first on suspension. Having gobs of power doesnt do you any good if you cant put it to the ground without a fury of wheelspin and hopping off the line. If I did any mods, I would touch base with the fellas that did the micra cup cars. Get their exhaust and intake, see if you can weasel their ECU tune out of them, see if thats enough.

Now I'm not certain but I suspect the stock tune is probably made for fuel efficiency and reliability. If you could remap it a little and dump in a little more fuel where it counts you could probably squeeze 120 or 130 out of this thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tykes View Post
    As I'm a new owner, just looking for insight
    What trim & transmission did you end up getting? Feel free to make a garage entry:

Garage empty: add car

And... welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I have noticed that the stock manual transmission, while light and pleasant during "Normal" driving, can barely hold things together when the Micra is driven to its engineered limits; speaking of which, has anyone considered the effects an increase in engine power output would have on the chassis? When I worked in a car plant, the variations of front wheel drive cars with higher power motors would get heavier motor rails, because, over time, the more powerful motors would twist the base model motor rails. When I'm rust-proofing my Micra, I can't help but notice that the chassis appears to me to be barely able to contain all 107 lb. ft. of torque the engine can deliver. I wonder, at what point does the windshield start to crack?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...