Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
"Crossovers" are THE hot segment.

Ironically: many of them are basically jacked up sub/compact hatchbacks. With worse aero, worse fuel economy, worse handling, worse safety (more prone to rollovers) than the sub/compacts they're based on.

The only advantage is they're easy for old people to get in & out of.
Actually, there are other reasons. My "Other" car is a crossover; the Pontiac Torrent. Here are the reasons I can think of:

-Better visibility over snowbanks. Typically this time of year, the snow banks are starting to pile up, and it doesn't take too many snowstorms before the banks are blocking your visibility as you pull up to a stop sign. The Micra is better than many cars in this respect, but it has nothing on the Torrent, which provides clear visibility over even the highest snowbank.

-Safer in a side impact collision. The doors are the weakest part of a car in a collision, and that is what bumpers hit in a side impact. The situation has improved somewhat with stronger B pillars and side impact beams, but a crossover raises the rockers closer to bumper level, and rockers are the strongest part of the side of the car. This also improves things in front or rear collisions with trucks and vans where their bumpers pass over the bumper of a traditional car.

-Improved back seat comfort. This is provided in part by a more upright seating position, and in part because of a higher, flatter roof line. Of course, we all know the Micra does well for the type of car that it is.

-Greater versatility. Crossovers are essentially hatchbacks, and we all know how incredibly versatile that design is. Most also incorporate some sort of roof rack system which, for me, has come in very handy. I could get roof racks for a car, but they're not always going to be on the car when I need them.

-Higher ground clearance. This makes oil changes easier. It also means I can drive onto construction sites and unassumed roads with less worry, and when there's debris or a dead skunk in the middle of the road, I can "Straddle" it and not worry about hitting it with my car.

-The fuel economy penalty is not that significant. In the case of the Torrent vs. a Pontiac G6, perhaps 1.5L/100km difference. Modern crossovers are doing even better.

-Better road presence. Even with its acceptable performance and ability to get out of the way, one can't help but feel intimidated by an aggressive driver in a larger vehicle or truck. Then there's the fact that a car can disappear in a sea of large trucks. In my experience, driving a crossover is a more relaxed experience.