Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Subcompact car sales collapsing in Canada... except for Nissan

Thanks

Article: Subcompact car sales collapsing in Canada... except for Nissan

As mentioned earlier, Mazda Canada reversed course this week, announcing it is cancelling plans to sell the next generation Mazda 2 (pictured above). The company made the same decision in the U.S. last year. (Related thread: Mazda updates the competition - redesigned 2016 Mazda 2)

Why? Apparently buyers are abandoning subcompact cars particularly in favour of compact crossovers (which are usually just more expensive, tall compact hatchbacks with bigger wheels and "SUV"-like styling... not to mention worse handling, higher risk of rollovers in crashes (higher center of gravity) and worse fuel economy).

“We took the decision [to] concentrate our resources on the CX-3, as this is the vehicle with the largest sales volume opportunity,” Mazda spokesman Greg Young said.
    Canadian subcompact sales dropping:

Sales of subcompacts offered by other auto makers have also plunged, including:

• the Fiat 500 sold by FCA Canada Inc.,
    • the Ford Fiesta,
    • Honda Fit,
    • Hyundai Accent,
    • Chevrolet Sonic
    • and Toyota Yaris.

The exception is Nissan Canada Inc., whose Micra and Versa combined were up 2 per cent in the first 10 months of 2015 from year-earlier levels.
    Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27303102/

And it's not like Nissan doesn't have a compact crossover too (Juke).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (11-20-2015)

Thanks
    The real reason, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Micra is a classic that's always been around somewhere in the world, true to its original form and function. However, if we start losing our small cars again like we did in the mid 90's, I think the Juke is a very compelling crossover, because it's the only one that truly looks like it's from the future.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Not surprising. It seems to come and go in waves. Remember the early 90's? Damn near everything was a compact hatch or subcompact. Then it faded, and now it came back, and it will fade again.

The ego is also another thing. Cases of SMROS (Small male reproductive organ sydrome) I guess..
    Last edited by Howie; 11-18-2015 at 08:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

The ego is also another thing. Cases of SMROS (Small male reproductive organ sydrome) I guess..
    i would be careful with making comments like that. first, a guy buying a big car doesnt mean show off/insecure.

second, many of those SUV buyers are female/moms. They abandoned the minivan, they abandoned the sedan, and now theygo for the CUV. (no idea what comes after. a extra lifted 6 wheeler??)

"which are usually just more expensive, tall compact hatchbacks with bigger wheels and "SUV"-like styling... not to mention worse handling, higher risk of rollovers in crashes (higher center of gravity) and worse fuel economy)"

yep! if only more people in norht america would understand this.

Thanks
    Cars? Its usually the big honkin lifted 4x4 with the super swamper tires that are bigger then the micra itself and the 8 inch sewer pipe stacks- Thats what I'm referring to. But if that term is unsuitable we can call it something else.

Actually I noticed something. Maybe this is just an issue of want vs. need. What a lot of people need is something like what we have, the micra. But what people want can be very different. If they have the money, good on em. A lot of CUV's have very extensive option lists to configure them to how sparse and how luxuirous as you would want them.

I live a very.. Hmm... Economic lifestyle. I try to get the most out of the least amount. Even in my hobbies of Amateur radio, I make great efforts to try to get my signals out as far as I can with the least amount of power. I dont get it personally. Why spend twice the price for a vehicle that is only a smidge bigger. Most small SUV's start a 20k. Or the price of 2 Micra S manuals.

I guess its a matter of to each their own, but the small car guy has always made fun of the guy with the big pickup truck or fancy sports car, just like they make fun of out practical, economic cute adorable cars. XD

But the truth is that manufacturers will produce products that sell according to demand. If nothing else the CUV market has always been relatively stable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

graymeeguts (12-01-2015),LilGeckos (11-20-2015)

Thanks
    ^ yep, cant agree more.

Need = space for as many people and stuff you carry, on an average week of your average year.
    Want = the latest, the biggest, the most gas guzzling.

result: SUV, CUV, full size trucks as your DD cars.

and yet these same people complain about gas prices! or too tight parking spots!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (11-21-2015),ptbo micra (11-20-2015)

Thanks
    They are the ones who ding your car with their doors, or take up multiple spaces...
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks

For example... ^

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (11-21-2015)

Thanks
    ^ lmao, im pretty sure thats not road legal.

one little sneeze and it's just gonna tip , man

Thanks
    Yes Anonymous, lots of trucks around here with "lift kits." They blind you from the front or the rear with their headlights because they are so high up. Even worse, some around here are going LED lights & bars. Too bad small car sales are going down though.