Thread: Adding cross tire iron to the tire change tool kit

Thanks

Adding cross tire iron to the tire change tool kit

I put the snow tires on my Micra today. When I removed my alloys, I discovered the lug nuts used to hold them on had a smaller head than the stock Micra lug nuts, so the stock wrench would not work. Even more disturbing was the discovery that I had picked up a nail in one of my rear tires. If I had a flat tire, I would have no way to perform a tire change, so I modified the foam tool kit holder to accommodate a small cross tire iron.

Name:  IMG_20151115_150245766.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  99.8 KB

It sits low enough that the floor carpet still sits flush. I'm thinking of adding a small air compressor and a tire patch kit as well.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-16-2015)

Thanks
    We should add this to the mod list. Ive never been a fan of those el cheapo tools that come with most cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    thanks alpha

btw, do we know why there's those two big rectangular empty spaces in that foam? whats that for?

I use the void on the right for a "justin case" $8 pump from crappytire works well fitts like it was designed for that spot.
    I have nuts and misc. parts/tools ( like my suspension wrenchs ) in the void on the left. Im not worried about the lug nut size as i carry my torque wrench with socket at all times now.

I also carry; zip ties, digital multimeter, 10mm wrench, multi head socket tool, a zippo with fluid, screw driver, electric tape, I think theres more.
    I should have water, and flares/emergency kit. But I have caa and roadside from nissan. Plus I used to driving cars no newer then 10years old. Lol. If I dont think I can make it, I wont go. Lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The one on the RH side is for a first aid kit on some EU March's. Still not sure on the left.

I keep my wheel lock key and the lug nuts left over in that spot, in the winter its where I have some arctic candles stashed away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    We should add this to the mod list.
    Done!

Thanks for posting, Alpha.

I had a similar issue once: I swapped front hubs from a more powerful version of the same car to use the larger optional brake discs/calipers. But unbeknownst to me, the hubs had larger studs. So after that I had to use 2 different wheel wrenches for front & back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I stopped by Canadian Tire on the way home, and found exactly what I wanted in a $20 kit:
    Name:  IMGP6812 (1280x850).jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  100.1 KB
    This came in a blister package by Bell, called "Roadside Emergency Inflation/Repair Kit." As you can see, the inflator is a perfect, if tight, fit in the left side hole. The yellow box is a tire repair toolbox, with two Plug & Go repair tools as well as four replacement valve caps, valve cores, and a valve tool. It also came with a battery powered emergency LED flashing hazard light, to round things out very nicely.

Nothing I hate more than waiting around for someone to show up for something I know I can do myself in a matter of minutes. Of course, I also bought a regular tire plug kit for the nail I discovered. All is good.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-16-2015),micrapolis (11-17-2015)

Thanks
    I've fixed a handful of flats with plugs in the past few years ... not difficult! I don't know why I took them to the garage by default for so long.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Metro...i started doing exactly the same thing...maybe its our age ??....lol!!

2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!