Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using a larger oil filter (Warranty issue?)

Thanks
    Knowing how cheap the bean counters can be on components like oil pumps on a car in the Micra's price range, I'm going to trust the engineers on this one, Pete, especially if the larger ones are cheaper and the dealerships are pushing them...that, to me, sounds like profits for the dealership for each oil change. A buck per change adds up and really helps their bottom line!

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah that's true Alpha. I can't wait to hit one hundred thousand k and get this warranty thing out of the way so I can do what I want to this thing.

Thanks
    ^ Bet you he's first with a turbo on this thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    ^ Bet you he's first with a turbo on this thing.
    lol.

make sure to post vids of your new exhaust note, in that case.....

WHOOSH WHOOSH WHIRRRR

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    hi guys, i'm a total newb here. i saw mention of this thread, and it rang a bell about something i read on another site about 18 months ago. the essential message is....small filters might be better than large filters, cause they minimize oil starvation on cold start ups:

https://www.allpar.com/forums/thread...filter.155874/

i dont have an opinion myself. just thought i'd pass it on.

That's probably why the turbo cars and 350z/370z use the smaller ones too. Makes sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That's got me thinking actually. This all being said... Im going to guess that it would be easier to push cold oil through a small filter then the opposite, especially in a smaller engine. The manual says its 3.5L, and I'm guessing it's with the small filter.. So the larger one might hold.. 2-300ml more?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I think more like 25 to 75 ml more. The large filter might be 10mm longer if that and that is stuffed with medium and screen so the difference is minimal. The "large" filter is still tiny. I bet your 'VW filter dwarfs it.
    Last edited by Pete; 12-18-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Actually the jetta uses an odd type we see in the g-wagens... You unscrew the cap, pull the filter element out and gasket and put a new one in.. Its about 30m across by 50 long. Open the top of the "Jar" pull the dirty guts out, and put fresh guts in.

I actually like the micra's style better.. The micra filter you can grab it from the outside, the jettas.. Well. Its in a really awkward space and you'll dribble oil and its a plastic screw on lid that will crack if you put too much muscle into it. :/