Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a larger oil filter (Warranty issue?)

Thanks

Using a larger oil filter (Warranty issue?)

I think the trick to buying anything with a brand new engine is to run it for a short period of time and then drop the oil, change the filter and do it again within the next 6 months. This way you may be lucky enough to have caught some metal shavings, etc in the filter and oil and been able to remove any potential future problems.

With the Micra the oil filter is so small I wonder if it does anything at all to catch impurities. Even my whole house generator and lawn tractor has a larger filter than my Micra.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    With the Micra the oil filter is so small I wonder if it does anything at all to catch impurities. Even my whole house generator and lawn tractor has a larger filter than my Micra.
    This is why I always get the large Nissan filter. I think it costs the same or less than the small one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I remember you coming in to belleville nissan and picking up filters one day when I argued to have my engine replaced.

Just have to add a couple more ounces with each change. No big. Its probably a good idea. Bigger filter would probably have more medium and a better flow rate... Probably.

Right now with having this conky little motor and on my second one, nope. I take it to a dealer every time. They cant point the finger at me that way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

I have owned this now for 6 months and its been driven 1,2xxkm break in, change, 4,2xxkm, change , 10,000km change, 18,000km change. Now its at 20,000km and from what ive seen.. Im going back to every 5k like i always do.
    So 25k 30k 35k etc... I get to see the car more, filter out more, and always have oil thats perfect..waste?,maybe. But at $28.88 for penzoil group5 100%synethic, I can buy 3 and get 4 oil changes.
    So based on my current usage im gonna buy 6jugs and 8 filters to sit there on stand by.
    When i buy my brake fluid, ill get double, same with brake pads.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Will getting the larger oil filter void the warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Getting a larger oil filter would certainly give the Nissan dealer an opportunity to suggest you have not followed the recommendations of the manufacturer so the answer you don't want to read is Yes, probably. Next is to think about why would you bother to increase the size of the filter? It isn't going to cycle that much more oil to collect dirt. Being so small I doubt it does any work at all and when does it cycle oil, at idle, at speed, at shut off, I don't know. Stay with the program, use what's in the owner's manual.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    Will getting the larger oil filter void the warranty?
    The Nissan dealership in Peterborough won't even use the little micra one and when you buy one there they give the large one unless you ask for the little one.

Thanks
    Getting a larger oil filter would certainly give the Nissan dealer an opportunity to suggest you have not followed the recommendations of the manufacturer so the answer you don't want to read is Yes, probably. Next is to think about why would you bother to increase the size of the filter? It isn't going to cycle that much more oil to collect dirt. Being so small I doubt it does any work at all and when does it cycle oil, at idle, at speed, at shut off, I don't know. Stay with the program, use what's in the owner's manual.
    The oil pump is pumping non stop as long as the motor is running. The owners manual says they recommend genuine nissan parts and the large filter is a genuine nissan part. I use the large one because size matters.

Thanks
    For warranty sake (and the fact I've yet to pay full price) I've had my changes done at the dealer, they have put in the larger filter. (confirmed with Pete about 15 mins ago)
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ptbo micra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-16-2015)

Thanks
    Makes me wonder if the larger filter is the key to the issue. I wonder what one they use in europe? We havent seen hr knocks there have we? Do they have the HR16DE? I know the Aussie ones only have the 1.2... Hmm.. Most interesting indeed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...