Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a larger oil filter (Warranty issue?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    Getting a larger oil filter would certainly give the Nissan dealer an opportunity to suggest you have not followed the recommendations of the manufacturer so the answer you don't want to read is Yes, probably. Next is to think about why would you bother to increase the size of the filter? It isn't going to cycle that much more oil to collect dirt. Being so small I doubt it does any work at all and when does it cycle oil, at idle, at speed, at shut off, I don't know. Stay with the program, use what's in the owner's manual.
    a dealer that rejects your warranty service just cuz the owner got a better (bigger) filter than recommended.

i wanna say i can't believe they'd be so evil, but id be lyin...

for the record, i use Fram, a small one to be exact. it's a small car, i see no issue, and Fram is trust worthy. certainly more than these dealers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    a dealer that rejects your warranty service just cuz the owner got a better (bigger) filter than recommended.

i wanna say i can't believe they'd be so evil, but id be lyin...

for the record, i use Fram, a small one to be exact. it's a small car, i see no issue, and Fram is trust worthy. certainly more than these dealers
    With dealerships give them an inch they'll take a foot. The filter sold by Nissan is a Fram filter made in Mexico on behalf of Nissan which is why I ordered in a bunch of Wix filters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (11-16-2015)

I use fram ultra syn ( xg6607 ) "6607" is the filter the 2 letters in front change based on the different filtering matterials.
    But the 370z also uses this little thing so it cant be that bad.
    I love wix, but was informed that the $13.49wix filter was still just a paper filter.
    For the same price Im getting a metal filter. That claims it can be used for 24,000km
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Not wanting to burst your bubble but the Fram xg6607 is made of synthetic and cellulose media and the Wix 51358 is made of cellulose/poly/glass media./ Cellulose being paper. So it appears both filters use paper along with metal components to do the job. Which is better, who knows, who cares. I go by the price. I guess the question remains if anyone would actually drive 15000 miles before doing a oil filter change?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (11-17-2015)

Thats interesting.. The guy at napa i guess doesnt know his stuff then.

Good to know. Now its time to cut them open and know for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Given the small amount of oil needed by the Micra's engine, it's doubtful to me that a larger filter would be of any benefit. My original Micra with a 1.2L engine had a similarly sized oil filter, similar oil capacity, and the high revving engine lasted well past 200,000 km without any sign of burning oil. When I sold it, it needed a new rocker arm cover and oil pan gasket, as well as some minor body work, but the engine itself was solid.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I am only using the Nissan filter (large) for 34,000 k more and then it will be WIX from then on.The only reason I even buy the Nissan (fram) is for the warranty reason then you have a dated receipt from Nissan that corresponds with the picture date of the mileage and it's genuine Nissan parts. As far as the large filter goes it might hold an extra ounce of oil which is good but not the reason why I use it. The reason is that when you have a larger filter the restriction of oil flow is less and it's easier for the oil pump push oil through a larger filter which helps maintain a more consistent oil pressure to critical parts of the internals throughout the rev range and the filter life.Just my two cents.

Thanks
    I should say that I have changed the oil in this car fifteen times now and I won't leave it in past five thousand k. I know it says eight but the condition of the used oil past five thousand is terrible at least the way my micra is used. I've been changing it at five for a while now since I noticed this. My Juke gets it every 2500k and I still have every drop of the used oil from both cars since new except the micras break in oil.

Thanks
    Pete, if your goal is to maintain oil pressure to critical engine parts, a larger oil filter may work against you. If the oil pump is designed to maintain a certain pressure, the engineers will take into account the size of the oil filter, and when you increase the volume of a pressurized space (which includes the filter), a pump may need to work harder to maintain the same amount of pressure in that space. I think this could put more stress on the pump, or lower the overall oil pressure in the system.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (11-17-2015),Pete (11-16-2015)

Thanks
    Alpha if you look at the picture in post two of the two boxes the actual difference is minimal maybe a centimeter longer so the space is filled with medium so like I said above maybe an ounce more oil if my oil pump cant handle that then installing an oil cooler or something like that would be out of the question. Use the smaller one if you choose but I just get the big one for peice of mind and I'll bet if you asked the engineers who designed it they would say the difference is minimal.The dealership in Peterborough also installs the large filter on micras.