Thread: Hypermiling challenge.

Thanks

Hypermiling challenge.

So. Im taking a little preemptive strike. So I think my micra will need a new engine. And for this wee little engine, what I want to do is drive it from day one using hypermiling techniques.

http://www.wikihow.com/Hypermile

I plan on using fuelly like many other members on here to track it all. Who's with me?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Apprently I already do all that. Lol.
    Especially "If you do have to accelerate, get it over with quickly. Fuel efficient vehicles actually generate better gas mileage when a "brisk" acceleration method is used. Slow acceleration will yield less mileage on such highly efficient cars. But any acceleration makes for terrible mileage, so get the acceleration out of the way so that you can cruise (excellent mileage!)"

Lol. Some of the things I dont do. Like drafting as much. Thats kind of a "need to" thing. Like when i know I need an extra 40 + km in range.. Slow down and draft a truck. Did that back from quebec. At one point I wasnt in range of my house. In fact I think I was 20-30 km shy. But I drive in the city and so may driving usually shortens the range. But I reset my average before the trip.
    So I was pretty sure its close to actual. So I slowed down and drafted trucks. Within 160km I extended my range to where I was sure i Could make it close. By the time I got to mississauga my gas light finally started flashing. Probably 2-4 ltrs left.
    So -30km to plus 30km by slowing down and drafting trucks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yep. Drafting does work. I can attest to that. I drive them for a living.. Well. Used to.. Im an office rat at the moment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Yep. Drafting does work. I can attest to that. I drive them for a living.. Well. Used to.. Im an office rat at the moment.
    How'd you end up riding a desk?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Went to Truro and became a Tractor Trailer Instructor/Examiner. Boatloads of paperwork.

Thanks
    I'm in! This is right up my alley. Oh wait... I have no Micra.

Since we're heading into winter, everyone's fuel economy is going to start dropping again. Block heater use & partial grille block helps a lot (among many other things like no idling to warm up & maintaining tire pressure as ambient temps fall).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (10-20-2015)

Thanks
    My micra has spent 95% of its life at or above 3000 rpm so I would not do well in this however my mileage thing on the dash says 5.4.

Thanks
    Pete, yours is a manual shift, correct?

Even 5.4, thats quite impressive.