Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear the Porcipine

Thanks

Fear the Porcipine

This morning around 4:30 a.m. on hwy.#7 east of PTBO a porcipine suddenly was ejected from under the truck in front of me, with oncoming traffic I simply had nowhere to go and hit the thing square. This launched me and my micra off the ground and I mean both axles. So then I waited for a tire to go down or a CEL to come on because it felt like it could have ripped the oil pan off or took out the rad but nothing. It drove the same and sounded the same so I kept going to work. When my first break came it was daylight and all I could find wrong with it is the bumper skin. Every where under the car that is not steel has quills except the CV boots. If the car was lower it would have been much more damage. I can repair the skin.

Name:  20151013_125541.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  20151013_125442.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  20151013_092740.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  20151013_125532.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  83.3 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-14-2015)

Thanks
    Yikes.. You were lucky.. I hit a raccoon earlier this year and it popped my A/C condensor coil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quills in that exhaust hanger: wow!

Is the bumper skin crack even visible without looking underneath?

Last time I had an encounter with a porkypine I had room to swerve fairly hard, and bounced it off the side of my front wheel. I had quills stuck between the rim and the tire bead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yeah it is visible above and the lower grill is cracked. Quills pierced the bumper skin. Day off today so I will be pulling quills removing the skin to have a better look.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow, that is quite the explosion of quills. Glad to hear you and the car are okay for the most part.

Thanks
    I have a sick child home so between tending to her and running things to my wifes work that she forgot this morning I am having a hard time getting the time to take the skin off. So far the score to me looks like this.
    condenser coil protection screen 1
    Porcipine 0

Thanks
    Well it's worse than I thought.... lower rad support is fubar and why the rad isn't leaking is beyond me. The rad protection screen helped in two ways one by keeping quills out of the rad and engine bay and by providing additional strength to the lower grille and the bumper skin itself. Hinged gutter gaurd at CT for twenty bucks did the micra and the juke with one panel left over so highly recommended.
    micra 1
    porcipine 1

p.s. I was able to remove the bumper skin without a jack or removing any pins in the wheel well.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-14-2015),MetroMPG (10-14-2015),micrapolis (10-15-2015)

Thanks
    Bummer. Think you need a new rad then?

Oh - could you please post a short DIY thread on bumper removal with that pic and some pointers? It's something people will search for in the future, guaranteed. Sounds super easy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Oh no.. What rotten luck. Oh well. bust out the hammer and fix her up.

And please, do the bumper removal. I want to have a look in there for when I do my A/C condensor so I can guage weither its something I can handle or not.

While im in there, Im going to do your protection screen mod. Im sold. It works. Horrible way to test it tho.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Bummer. Think you need a new rad then?

Oh - could you please post a short DIY thread on bumper removal with that pic and some pointers? It's something people will search for in the future, guaranteed. Sounds super easy.
    It is already on here on the condensor coil protection screen thread. Maybe it needs its own thread? Going to let sleeping dogs lie as far as the rad for now. It's not leaking and now it matches my motorcycle! Removing and installing the skin is a five minute job now I have had it off so much.