Thread: Rear fog light retrofit

Thanks

Rear fog light retrofit

As you probably know, almost everywhere in the World, apart from North America, cars must be equipped with a rear fog light. In my opinion, this is a major safety device, as sometimes, especially during the fall, a big deep curtain of fog is covering the 40 expressway along the St.Lawrence.

I did the retrofit on my VW Golf a few years ago. It was pretty easy; I had to find an Euro light switch with front and rear fog options, run a wire from the fuse box to the rear left taillight, put a bulb in the empty socket, and voilà!

My Benz B200 was factory equipped with a functionnal rear fog lamp, even for the Canadian market.

I always felt much more visible while driving in deep fog or during a big snowstorm. In fact, my car was clearly much more conspicuous for people in the back.

So my plan is to retrofit a rear fog lamp on my Micra. Does anybody ever tought about that? Any ideas will be welcomed!

I have two options :

1- drill a hole in the rear bumper and put an aftermarket socket and lens, and add an OEM Nissan rear fog light switch in the dash (from a Nissan Almera). I will try to figure out which live wire i'm gonna use.

2 - Convert the rear left backup light in a fog lamp by putting a red bulb in the socket, and run a wire.

Here is the Micra sold in Europe. Rear fog is at the bottom of the rear bumper :

Name:  Micra2_0.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  91.0 KB

My plan # 1, not the best one I think

Name:  1130101049.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  78.3 KB

My plan # 2 (should be on the left side)

Name:  legacy-rear-fog.jpg
Views: 23299
Size:  38.3 KB

Nissan Almera used rear foglight switch :

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  93.5 KB

So what do you think? Do you think it's doable without messing everything up?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    I would do #2, but you will have to splice a ground in as well. Its a very small receptacle so It probably wont give off a lot of power.

Keep in mind, In north america, this isn't a common thing. You might be more visable, but you also might confuse drivers behind you .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I did this on one of my cars as well.

Another option to consider: I have seen some cars just use the existing left side brake light.

The Subaru owner put his light on the wrong side!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I was just poking through a few of the old pages I had, had an intresting Idea.

You could grab a strip of this. https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/1...d-tape-lights/

Or similar and mount it along the bottom of the rear bumper or in the gap where the tailgate meets the bumper. Even stuff it in the reverse light on the back. Its really low draw so you could get away with small guage wire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Papapoil (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Well the LED strip seems to be a great option. And yes, MetroMPG, the rear fog should be on the driver side. Maybe the Suby is a RHD japanese version?

Thank you for you inputs! Maybe I will just put some LED tail/brake bulbs