Thread: Auto vs Manual (trading Micra 5MT for automatic or something else)

Thanks

Auto vs Manual (trading Micra 5MT for automatic or something else)

Okay folks,
    these wonderful little cars have been out for a while...Anyone have any real time behind the wheel of the Auto and Manual. how do they compare/feel...
    I've got the Manual, love it..in test drives i was thinking i would be happy with the Auto, but i have been burnt on small engine Auto's time and time again for sluggish can't get out of the way, watch out for the bread truck feelings too many times..
    problem is the wife, 5 month after purchase, is not having it and isn't going to learn the Manual...not that she can't get, she doesn't want to try. so, i'm thinking i'm going to trade in...
    Deciding if i should go to another Micra in Auto, or upgrade Sentra or another Brand..

--

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That's too bad about the wife not liking the manual. It makes the car so much more engaging to drive, plus lets it achieve far better fuel economy than the official ratings suggest.

I only spent a week with an automatic, and while I would never buy one personally, there are a couple of nice things about it:

--- It's surprisingly unobtrusive when driven moderately. Light load upshifts were practically imperceptible.

--- It's programmed to be more fuel efficient than older slushboxes, with aggressive fuel cut-off when decelerating, and lock-up in both 3rd and 4th gears.

--- 4th gear in lock-up is geared lower than 5th in the manual, so the car isn't revving its freakin' face off at highway speeds like the manual does. That gives it quieter & more relaxed highway manners.

I posted more detailed thoughts on the auto tranny here: automatic transmission observations -- 2015 Micra SR automatic week long test drive: Darin's notes & impressions

As for acceleration vs. the manual, have a look at this...

Thread: Micra 1.6L: acceleration, 0-100 km/h, 0-60 mph and top speed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    In my opinion this is not a highway car manual or automatic. This is a city cruiser and it shines on the mileage it gets. As for a choice of auto or manual I got manual because I like to be engaged in the workings of the car and since this is a fun vehicle to drive you don't get the fun using an automatic. You sure get it with the manual. My wife declines to use this car because it is manual and frankly I could care less. I bought it for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Pete (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    I bought the Manual for me too...I love it..love the car...I also bought with the understanding that she would learn the manual for the weekends i head out powerboat racing and she has to work...currently it cost me $100-150 for cab fair for the weekend.
    sucks...
    anyone every trade back in a lightly used vehicle within 6 months? how bad due they rape you on the price?

Mine is the SV with Radio Package. 5 spd. at about 11,000 km currently.
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    In my opinion this is not a highway car manual or automatic.
    I beg to differ. I find the seating position in the SV/SR very comfortable, and wouldn't hesitate to spend serious time in one. I'd take a Micra cross-country in a heartbeat. Several members have already done some big road trips.

I suppose it comes down to what you're used to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham18ce View Post
    anyone every trade back in a lightly used vehicle within 6 months? how bad due they rape you on the price?
    Bring vaseline, lie back and think of England. (Japan? Mexico?)

The only upside to what you're considering is the timing: they're doing 2015 model clear-out sales, so you might experience somewhat less pain now than you would at another time of year.

Thanks
    True, on the end of line sales...i'll have to try out a Sentra and Auto Micra and see how they compare...

by the way...I've done small 4 hour hwy trips in the micra and have no problem burning away the miles...quite happy to do 140 in it and burn some gas, or putz about at 80-90 and take in the environment...
    it really is a joy to drive...
    the other day heading up the 400 north i had a Red Micra riding my ass and looked to my right and there was another black mirca...i'm laughing as we are all smilling! what other car does that happen in!
    --

Thanks
    Think you'll feel that way about a Sentra?

Thanks
    nope...i'll hate the Sentra from day one...but my wife will be happier, happy wife happy life!

--