Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sumitomo Z32 brake caliper swap

I have some options for bolts from carlson. Just need to figure out the current length of the mounting bolts.
    I have a feeling they are 35mm +/- so the bolts for a versa pn "H821" which are 43.25mm should be fine.
    If not I'll find a grade 10.9 17mm hex m12x1.25 by "x" mm

My washer style spacers are being worked on by the mechanic at my work. Hopefully he has time to do them tmw.

I'm picking up a fender roller tmw after work to start rolling/flaring the fenders.

Edit:
    The versa bolts from carlson have an unthreaded section which make then unusable.

I ordered m12 -1.25 thread pitch 50mm long grade 10.9 bolts with a hex flange head. Cost with shipping $29.
    Believe it or not brafasco and other bolt companies did not have this in stock and had minimum order requirements of 100 or more.

Bumper quick releases have arrived and bolts will be here soon. With any luck I'll be doing this install next Sunday.july 24th. I have not flared yet.

Last edited by IMPUL; 07-15-2016 at 09:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Loading .... 89% complete
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-18-2016),Vapor (07-19-2016)

Thanks
    Updating... DO NOT shut off your car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    any uptade on this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by n15sk4 View Post
    So here's where it stands ..
    I have *fingers crossed* all the pieces I need.
    I even have the fender roller.
    I still need a heat gun. So I don't bugger up the paint.
    I need time.
    The fender rolling alone will take me about an hour a side. And then there is everything else.
    Quick release bumper bits.
    Rear Brake lines
    Front brake lines
    Calipers.
    I figure a good solid 4-5 hours.
    At the same time I want to remove the uprated front suspension so I can fab the tabs to reconnect the sway bar.
    Another hour or so.
    There is also some rubberized spray is like to coat the inside of the fenders with since I removed the plastic liner.
    This way when I roll the fenders it will have a z-tuned look to the fenders. Which will help vent the engine bay and wheel well. Another 2 hours.
    Add this to being in a bsmt and working in a drive way another 2 hours walking back and forth getting things I need.
    And beer breaks ... At least an hour.
    Oh and documenting the process. Add an hour . What's that like 13hours ?

And it's still February lol. Crap....
    What I would give for a heated garage workspace for the weekend...

Unless that happens it will probably have to warm up abit before I can proceed.
    And since it's tax, er, I mean RaceKar stimulus package season I'm sure some other projects will start blossoming << get it, spring time, blossoming...

Thanks

Calipper Upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by n15sk4 View Post
    Any one else reading this in 2021?

I own a 2019 Nissan March, Mexican name, and I tried this upgrade.
    I used the 89 Nissan 300zx brake calipers, they where bolt on. That was the easiest part.

If anyone is interested, I can go in detail on how I accomplished this upgrade.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainSlow For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Any one else reading this in 2021?

I own a 2019 Nissan March, Mexican name, and I tried this upgrade.
    I used the 89 Nissan 300zx brake calipers, they where bolt on. That was the easiest part.

If anyone is interested, I can go in detail on how I accomplished this upgrade.
    Please do, the ones I used were not bolt on..

Thanks
    After selling my car 5 years ago... I marry the girl who bought it from me so maybe I will try these again.

The Nissan kicks know have rear brake disc so maybe it will be easier for the rear end.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to manuel ugalde For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    Let me start of by saying that English is not my first language and I apologize in advance for any grammatical mistakes.

I started this last year, around April when I discovered this Forum, and finished it by December. The work was not as time consuming as it was doing research and trying different parts.
    I live in the US part of the year, and the rest in Mexico (the reason I have a Mexican car)

So far, I've done the brake upgrade, and coilovers. (that's a different story, but I can if you want go in detail)
    The brake job is not quite finished, I still need to upgrade the lines along with the booster and master cylinder, and I am thinking of changing a little bit of this setup for bigger rotors and wheels.

I had to do some research on different components. The calipers mentioned here where the Sumitomo Z32 calipers, which they where the same fitting on the 1989 Nissan 200ZX. A little more digging, and I found the set, separately, on amazon (AutoZone and orelley's also have this part). Just look for the calipers on the turbo 200ZX.

After I got the Calippers on the mail, I imidetley checked the fitment and I was exited they where bolt on.
    Picture Test1 and Test2 show how they fit with the original rotor.
    The original rotor is 260mm in diameter, but it wasn't enough for the calipers.

This is where the tricky part began, and the most time consuming. I did research on cars that had the same bolt pattern and checked the original dimensions on the rotors. I tried other nissan, mazda, toyota, Volskwagen, and all of them where just not right. I looked for cars with a lug pattern of 100mm, and I ordered and returned so many rotors, because even though the information I found online about a certain vehicle I came to the conclusion that: even though nissan originaly was made using the metric system, the USA cars huge difference when making cars for the american market.
    For example: the Nissan Note in Mexico has the 4x100 lug pattern, the USA counterpart has it of 4x114.
    You see, 100mm is 3.93 inches, but 114mm is 4.5 inches, crazy right? cuz Merica right,

Anyway, at this point I was giving up, and this Forum had no answers, the person who tried this before me stopped progress before I started, so I believed he didn't finished it because he ran into the same problem I had, the rotor fitment.

So, with a little Mexican Ingenuity, I found the rotors that where the closest to what I needed them to be; 2012 Mini Cooper, rotors are 280mm and the lug pattern is 4x100, but like the originals, they sat to close to the back (like picture Test2). I bought different thickness metal plates from home depot (Mexican ingenuity) and drilled holes, shape them like spacers. I thought of using washers but I couldn't find thick enough ones. At this moment I don't remember exactly what thickness it was, I believe it was 1/4 inch. Now the rotor and the disc match.
    I went witch the cheapest pads, I didn't want to spend a lot on something that was still not certain, so I got Duralast Brake Pads MKD647, I saved that info so I can get replacements later.

Now, the next issue... the rims.
    My originals are 175/60R15 with 0 offset, the caliper was hitting the rim as you might of guessed, now I need spacers.

Again, handy amazon came in and helped with a 1 inch 4x100 spacers.

For the lines, they where also fit right on, the only issue was that the drilled hole was not long enough for the line-bolt and I had to just put an extra washer.

It took me a couple of days to get rid off all the air in the lines, but in the end it was worth it. You can definitely fell the stopping power, the car is super light weight, the calipers have to problem stopping it.

I bought a set of 7x17 Rims that I am working of setting up, the offset is 40 and they look kinda funny with the 1inch spacers, but if I take the spacers off, the rim scrapes the caliper. I need to figure out a better way of solving this issue.
    I am thinking of fabricating an adapter for the caliper, so it sits a little more back and out. I found the rotor from a sporty Mini to be 315mm, if it works out, I'll post pictures and info.

Ask if I miss anything, can always send me a private message and we can discus in length this procedure.

KindRegards,
    CaptainSlow.