Thread: Micra S Occasionally Will Not Start

Thanks

Micra S Occasionally Will Not Start

Hi, Hoping that there might be someone here who has had the same problem and solved it, or who knows something about cars and can provide a clue.

I have been exceptionally pleased with my Micra S. But a week ago, I started it, drove with family to a nearby town, parked, had lunch, and on returning to the car, turning the key would only activate all the warning lights-- no turn over of the starter engine at all. Tried several times with zero noise / starter motor. Popped the hood, and, with none of us knowing anything at all about engines, we simple pushed around a few wires, and checked the connections on the battery. Did not see anything strange, such as loose wires. Tried starting, and no problem, started right up.

Drove for over a week with zero issues.

Yesterday, I drove to Vancouver, parked for lunch, and the same thing happened: all the warning lights would light up, as is normal, but zero turn over of the starter motor. Removed the key, tried again, same silence. Removed the key, tried again, started no problem. Does this mean I need to avoid having lunch out with this car? (joke).

I will phone the dealership on Monday, but it would be most helpful to have some ideas of what might be going on here. Thanks!

Thanks
    Is that car an automatic or standard?

In standard cars, the neutral safety switch or clutch switch can go a bit haywire and prevent starting.

In autos sometimes the gear position sensor can sometimes not fully catch and believe the car is in gear preventing starting (Allthough this is uncommon as the reverse lights wont come on, nor will the key be released)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks. It is a standard. I remember I recently put the seat back a little more (amazes me how much leg room one can achieve in this car-- I swear there seems to be more than in my older Subaru Forester!), and I was thinking maybe the clutch peddle is just not completely depressed. That could be it? I am going to test it out later this afternoon.

Thanks
    Okay, feeling foolish, but happy to have the solution. Turns out that putting my seat way back, I sometimes was not 100% depressing the clutch peddle. This causes the car not to turn over-- nice safety feature. Solved.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunshineCoast For This Useful Post:

Howie (08-08-2015),MetroMPG (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for the update.

The clutch switch went flaky in my brother's Dodge Caliber last winter. Same symptoms, but not resolvable by pushing the pedal all the way in!

One day (after going out for a meal... coincidence??) it wouldn't start so he called me. I thought he was saying the battery was dead, but obviously that wasn't it.

FYI: You can push start a car in that situation, and that's what we did. My brother wasn't sure how to do it, so I did the deed while he pushed. My neices, who were in the car, thought it was pretty fun rolling across the parking lot with no engine on, then bump-VROOM!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...